Thread: One Of The Things

Default One Of The Things

that bother me when it comes to archaeology, theology or some other research field are all those well meaning believers who know nothing yet they think they can decipher evidence from the past and present their conclusions to other believers as gospel truth.

We have had multiple examples of this on this forum. It is sad to see such believers be so lacking in discernment and proper use of the Bible and historical evidence as they do not help anyone. They do more damage than good. Such well meaning believers should be more open minded to learning the truth about what they think instead of getting upset when corrected by those who have spent years studying archaeology, theology and other research fields.

Blind acceptance of certain historical sites or other pieces of evidence or blind application of the same to biblical events or people only embarr*** those lacking in expertise in these fields. They also embarr*** the church as their ignorance is seen by everyone but them. My own father-in-law and brothers-in-law are guilty of this as they take what they read in one book over what more knowledgeable people state on a given subject.

Such people make presenting the truth to other believers vastly more difficult and leave other believers vulnerable to lies and attacks of evil. The damage is immense as the cause of Christ is hindered by those who do not know what tey are talking about nor know how to apply the knowledge they have received.

Subjective interpretation is not a tool of God. Making sure one gets the truth is. You need to be careful when dealing with history and archaeology as the facts may not be as they seem. Case in point the thread on the cave John lived in when he wrote Revelation. There is NO mentioning in the book of Revelation that John lived in a cave or had his vision there. There is no evidence pointing to that idea in the archaeological or historical world. tradition is NOT necessarily evidence.

Misleading people is not an instruction from Jesus make sure you got it right before p***ing the information on to others.
    check the new book thread to find my new books

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    that bother me when it comes to archaeology, theology or some other research field are all those well meaning believers who know nothing yet they think they can decipher evidence from the past and present their conclusions to other believers as gospel truth.

We have had multiple examples of this on this forum. It is sad to see such believers be so lacking in discernment and proper use of the Bible and historical evidence as they do not help anyone. They do more damage than good. Such well meaning believers should be more open minded to learning the truth about what they think instead of getting upset when corrected by those who have spent years studying archaeology, theology and other research fields.

Blind acceptance of certain historical sites or other pieces of evidence or blind application of the same to biblical events or people only embarr*** those lacking in expertise in these fields. They also embarr*** the church as their ignorance is seen by everyone but them. My own father-in-law and brothers-in-law are guilty of this as they take what they read in one book over what more knowledgeable people state on a given subject.

Such people make presenting the truth to other believers vastly more difficult and leave other believers vulnerable to lies and attacks of evil. The damage is immense as the cause of Christ is hindered by those who do not know what tey are talking about nor know how to apply the knowledge they have received.

Subjective interpretation is not a tool of God. Making sure one gets the truth is. You need to be careful when dealing with history and archaeology as the facts may not be as they seem. Case in point the thread on the cave John lived in when he wrote Revelation. There is NO mentioning in the book of Revelation that John lived in a cave or had his vision there. There is no evidence pointing to that idea in the archaeological or historical world. tradition is NOT necessarily evidence.

Misleading people is not an instruction from Jesus make sure you got it right before p***ing the information on to others.
    Hello David,

Of course what you have stated makes sense, as it is the truth that sets one free and not opinion or tradition. We are all familiar with 2 Tim 3:16-17,
    "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" and perhaps Prov. 6:23 is familiar also "For the commandment is a lamp, And the law a light; Reproofs of instruction are the way of life." I believe we are responsible to one another for reproof and correction. It is vitally important that one learns the scriptures and also important that one learns how to correct. Prefacing our reply to someone with, "you are an idiot" or calling their post "nonsense" is probably not the best way to begin correction. I'm sure I have been guilty of this prideful behavior many times, thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    Hello David,

Of course what you have stated makes sense, as it is the truth that sets one free and not opinion or tradition. We are all familiar with 2 Tim 3:16-17,
    "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" and perhaps Prov. 6:23 is familiar also "For the commandment is a lamp, And the law a light; Reproofs of instruction are the way of life." I believe we are responsible to one another for reproof and correction. It is vitally important that one learns the scriptures and also important that one learns how to correct. Prefacing our reply to someone with, "you are an idiot" or calling their post "nonsense" is probably not the best way to begin correction. I'm sure I have been guilty of this prideful behavior many times, thanks for the reminder.
    No worries. One of the things I find is that those with little education think they know a lot and do not listen or they continue to listen to those who also do not know a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    Hello David,

No worries. One of the things I find is that those with little education think they know a lot and do not listen or they continue to listen to those who also do not know a lot.

Case in Point: patterns of Evidence & their news letter

New evidence is unearthed every day and adds another piece to the puzzle. First discovered in the 1930’s, the remains of a copper mining camp was named “Slaves’ Hill.” So named, because it was believed that the high walls kept laboring slaves inside the camp. New evidence suggests that the high walls and single entrance were for protections and control of flow in and out of a sophisticated camp. Could this point to more evidence in the time of King David?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5N6K1fkm2U

the people in that video are another group i am talking about