Thread: Infant Baptism

johnd

Default Infant Baptism

Since our recent move from California to the great State of Texas, my wife and I have been looking for a new Church home. We attended a Southern Baptist Church twice and felt very smothered. There's being welcomed then there's being patronized.

We attended Calvary Chapels mostly since the early 90's since it was the most in line with what we believe and attending Shabbat services was severely restricted by my ***... here, most wouldn't know what a Messianic is. So, we started visiting a Methodist Church. We attended one in Texas in the early 90's before going to Calvary Chapel because the women preachers became a big issue with me.

It would be today had I not come to the reality that as long as men will not step up to the plate, a woman can lead (to the shame of the cowardice or selfish men) which was the point God was making with the ministry of the prophetess Deborah.

Today baby Braydon was baptized according to the Methodist traditions. And it was a beautiful ceremony. It was like a liturgical baby dedication more than a testimony of faith in Christ. And when the pastor held the babe and walked him around amongst the congregation in a quilt the ladies had made and softly sang "Braydon, Braydon God claims you. Braydon, Braydon he loves you too" over and over and we all joined in... tears of joy flowed from my wife and I. The Spirit of God was there... and all who come to Christ come to him in this way spiritually as little children... and it was one of the most special moments I have ever experienced.

Ordinarily I'd rear back on my dogmatic haunches and grumble about infant baptism. I still believe it is biblical that the actual baptism is neither that of infant nor adult water baptism but rather that of the Holy Spirit... which I believe we witnessed today... and that the water baptism is an outward expression of an inward transformation.

But it is clear there are times when God stakes a claim, as he did in Samuel's life... and Jeremiah (even before he was born), and in my life.

It used to befuddle me that I could never remember a "conversion moment" in my life... that point that no one ever forgets when the heavens open and they repent and choose the Lord as their savior. Until I recalled when God came to me at age 5. Mother was late in picking me up fom kindergarten. I was upset from the imposition on the teacher (Ms Maggard who was a wonderful believer) and from the fear that Mother had gotten into an accident of some kind. And I recalled the Lord came to me. I knew that I knew it was him. And he not only comforted me. He claimed me.

I've been his ever since. I had my prodigal years. But I never stopped believing from that day forward. So rather than rear up on my dogmatic haunches I will just say we have another young brother in Christ today. And he is a complete joy, smiling and happy and he was so quiet when we sang to him. Until then he was a little squirmy and (baby) talkative.
    Last edited by johnd; 02-22-2009 at 08:41 PM.

johnd

This church, by the way, is very close. Old timers will yell out "can't hear back here" if the speaker isn't attentive enough with their microphone. And the church is a church of prayer and caring. The pastor teaches the word of God rather than fix it sermons or denominational party lines. Very refreshing and spiritually renewing.

Trinity

Amen with all my congratulations. Now you are accompanying baby Braydon in his spiritual life and you will nourish his soul with all your life experience. His baptism is linked with our Savior but also with your guidance throughout his life. With a good conscience and your vows to raise this child as a christian. You with your wife.

Trinity

reinart

Sounds like you don't believe in a true relighion, but any old thing will do.
    Here, let me help you, attend a Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal church, UPCI or a ALJC, PAW they are different organizations, not denominations as you are bouncing around above.
    Oh and there is water and Spirit baptism, but until you get in a church with truth, you won't get taught on that.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post

We attended Calvary Chapels mostly ....
    How is that church doing?