Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Spamming"

dberrie2000

Default "Spamming"

I use a wide range of Biblical verses--many more than anyone here, IMO. Some verses pertain to specific subjects--as there are just so many verses in the Biblical text which specifically pertain to a specific subject.

Could it be those here feel constrained because the Biblical verses are not friendly to their theology--and complain of "spamming" when those verses are posted? I find the posters here use the Bible very little--and often divert whenever the Bible is used--or do not use it at all.

This is a Christian forum? Why shouldn't we use the Bible liberally here? Post the Biblical verses over and over--as that is the manifestation of God's Word? Why should anyone be warned about using Biblical verses--regardless of how often they are used?

If it is just one or two verses one is using--then OK. That is usually what the faith alone do here--their responses to the numerous Biblical verses I post here is usually limited to about two of the same verses. I use at least 50 different verses. That I post here frequently means those verses will be repeated more often--even if I only use them occasionally. One has to consider the number of post with the Biblical scriptures, and the fact there are just so many verses which are in the Biblical text--which apply to a specific subject.

Again--I believe some posters here feel threatened by the fact they have no response to the fact the Biblical verses defy their theology--and complain in the most effective way they have--"spamming"!

If this is a Christian site--let them answer to the Biblical text. I feel those here who yada-yada with one another is fine--and is what many want. I want our discussions to center on what the Bible teaches--and that is where the problem begins for most of the posters here--they have no answer why the Bible testifies against them--so they respond by the accusation of spamming.

May this forum turn to the Bible--over and over again--let's use that as our standard--without the accusation of spamming.

The day we accuse one of spamming for using the Bible is the day we have moved away from Christianity.
    Last edited by dberrie2000; 03-31-2017 at 05:44 AM.

alanmolstad

I have already written on how things can get turned into a case of spamming with overuse.......even the posting of a Bible verse....

If there are any questions, I will post the address where I have written on this topic to help people stay out of problems they might not know they are stepping into...

http://www.waltermartin.com/forums/s...486#post172486

If anyone in the future sees a post on the board that they believe is a case of a member spamming, just report it right away, or drop me a message .

on a more personal note:
    On this well known other forum Im a member of a person was complaining at being recently banned for what he claimed was just for posting a question the mod's did not like.

Well....I remember that incident.

And what the guy actually did was post the same single question about 20 times in a row!

Thats spamming the forum, and that got him banned for about 2 weeks..

But thats not the way he tells the story....

so its not so much what you are posting that turn it into a case of spamming, its more the manner its being posted, and if its too repe***ive .
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-31-2017 at 05:27 AM.

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    I have already written on how things can get turned into a case of spamming with overuse.......even the posting of a Bible verse....
    If it is just a Bible verse--then I would agree. But again--I post numerous Biblical verses--from all the Books of the Biblical NT. Is that considered spamming?

I have another question--if this is a Christian site--then why don't we use the Bible more often--or feel threatened whenever it is used? My purpose here is to defend the truth, as exhibited by the Biblical text.

That means the use of the Bible--over and over again. Why shouldn't we use it liberally? Why should we cry foul when it is used? Because it does not fit one's theology?

As I have maintained--the faith alone have precious little in common with the Bible--and the posted verses bear that out. Where is the Biblical explanation for that? Why isn't there more responses using the Bible--instead of complaints about those who do use the Bible?

alanmolstad

spamming is against the rules....

So use your head and don't do anything that might be seen as spamming and you will be fine.

If anyone thinks that they are seeing someone spamming the forum, just report the location so i can find it, or send me a message and I will get right on it!
    Because starting as of right NOW, we are going to be a "spamming-free" zone!

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    If it is just a Bible verse--then I would agree. But again--I post numerous Biblical verses--from all the Books of the Biblical NT. Is that considered spamming?

I have another question--if this is a Christian site--then why don't we use the Bible more often--or feel threatened whenever it is used? My purpose here is to defend the truth, as exhibited by the Biblical text.

That means the use of the Bible--over and over again. Why shouldn't we use it liberally? Why should we cry foul when it is used? Because it does not fit one's theology?

As I have maintained--the faith alone have precious little in common with the Bible--and the posted verses bear that out. Where is the Biblical explanation for that? Why isn't there more responses using the Bible--instead of complaints about those who do use the Bible?
    These are excellent questions. I think the problem lies when you use Biblical text to defend our beliefs and often those are the same Biblical verses. Sometimes it appears that we are broken records, but the truth is--you are right, the Bible verses are wonderful references to defending one's beliefs.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    These are excellent questions. I think the problem lies when you use Biblical text to defend our beliefs and often those are the same Biblical verses. Sometimes it appears that we are broken records, but the truth is--you are right, the Bible verses are wonderful references to defending one's beliefs.

most of the time it has nothing to do with the things posted, rather its the manner they are posted.

An example:
    If on a forum about cats, i post the comment "I love cats" no one would object.

However, if I start to post "I love cats" in every comment I post on the forum, suddenly i have turned a harmless phrase into spamming.

Thats where people need to be mindful of what they are doing and how this might look to others.

You cant defend spamming the forum by saying, "But it was from the Bible" and not expect to get BANNED!

Trust me, no one will care how lofty you think the words you kept posting over and over were, if they start to get just too repe***ive you are going to be considered to be disrespecting the other members of the forum...

and you are showing disrespect.

And all this is just so easy to avoid if people would just use their head and consider how their posts may look to others?

If you find that there is a chance someone might consider your post to be against the spirit or letter of the rules, then rephrase things so that they dont appear that way....

its so simple, its called "editing".

Why do some think that can be clever enough to get around this ?
    Why would anyone spend so much effort attempting to skirt a rule that is created so that people engage with each other on an equal footing?

so starting right now this is going to be a spamming-free zone!
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-31-2017 at 03:58 PM.

most of the time it has nothing to do with the things posted, rather its the manner they are posted.

An example:
    If on a forum about cats, i post the comment "I love cats" no one would object.

However, if I start to post "I love cats" in every comment I post on the forum, suddenly i have turned a harmless phrase into spamming.

Thats where people need to be mindful of what they are doing and how this might look to others.

You cant defend spamming the forum by saying, "But it was from the Bible" and not expect to get BANNED!

Trust me, no one will care how lofty you think the words you kept posting over and over were, if they start to get just too repe***ive you are going to be considered to be disrespecting the other members of the forum...

and you are showing disrespect.

And all this is just so easy to avoid if people would just use their head and consider how their posts may look to others?

If you find that there is a chance someone might consider your post to be against the spirit or letter of the rules, then rephrase things so that they dont appear that way....

its so simple, its called "editing".

Why do some think that can be clever enough to get around this ?
    Why would anyone spend so much effort attempting to skirt a rule that is created so that people engage with each other on an equal footing?

so starting right now this is going to be a spamming-free zone!
    Then God is the ultimate spammer as He repeats the same message many times.

For example:

Jhn 13:35
    By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Jhn 15:12
    This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

Jhn 15:17
    These things I command you, that ye love one another.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

alanmolstad

Then God is the ultimate spammer .....
    God is not a member of the message board.
    But if he was I would expect him to follow the rules too.

I don't care who you might be, if you are spamming you get tossed out on your ****.
    No one will be granted exemptions based on any religious affiliations...

Nor should we give anyone a p*** for spamming this forum just because they thought their posts were just too clever , or too lofty , to be seen as spamming.

spamming is against the rules.....
    Thats should be enough to know about the subject.

alanmolstad

Now.....

Now is there some part of this that is yet in doubt in anyone's mind?

Is there something I have said about the topic of making this a "Spamming-Free zone from now on" that anyone does not understand?

Have we all exhausted the topic enough yet?

Is there anyone that would like a chance to pose some type of hypothetical questions in order to later exploit some wiggle room because they believe that will allow them the chance to get away with spamming the board later?

or can the fact that there is a rule in place be seen now as sufficient?

God is not a member of the message board.

Clearly, He is not here.

alanmolstad

Clearly, He is not here.
    Unless He is listed under an ***umed name...
    But that does not change the fact that no member of this board shall be allowed to be spamming the forum.
    I believe this point has now been made very clear to people, and so there shall be no need to hand out any warnings.
    Let us hope that as newer members join our forum that we who have been here longer can help bring new people up to speed as to the rule against spamming .

dberrie2000

Unless He is listed under an ***umed name...But that does not change the fact that no member of this board shall be allowed to be spamming the forum.
    You still have not explained why posting Biblical scriptures should be listed as "spamming". On a site which claims to be Christian?

2 Timothy 3:15-17---King James Version (KJV)
    15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

alanmolstad

You still have not explained why posting Biblical scriptures should be listed as "spamming". On a site which claims to be Christian?

2 Timothy 3:15-17---King James Version (KJV)
    15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
    posting Biblical scriptures is not against the rules, but spamming is against the rules.

Anything can be spamming because its not mostly the things that are posted that make it spamming, its the repe***ive manner they are posted.

I have given the example of being on a forum where people talk about cats all the time and you posting the comment "I love cats"
    There would be nothing wrong with doing that.
    But if you started to always copy/paste "I love cats" over and over and over you would be turning a harmless phrase into spamming.

It's the same here with the many things....Bible verses like your 2 Timothy 3:15-17 verse included.
    Turning a harmless phrase into spamming by posting it over and over in a repe***ive manner.
    This is not allowed.

Now there are other examples of spamming a forum that we need to watch out for too,
    But from now on we will have a "Spamming-free zone" here!

dberrie2000

posting Biblical scriptures is not against the rules, but spamming is against the rules.

Anything can be spamming because its not mostly the things that are posted that make it spamming, its the repe***ive manner they are posted.
    There are just so many scriptures one can list to specific subjects--I will venture the fact I have used more Biblical scriptures than all the posters combined, who has posted here this past year.

Anyone who doubts that--I would like to see the results.

Alan--the fact is--most of the posters here do not even use the Biblical scriptures here but little--or none. The rub with most of the complainants is because they cannot defend themselves against the posted scriptures, IMO.

Some posters here love it when you will yada-yada with them--as long as one does not know the Bible well enough to corner them on their theology.

I know the Bible--and have attended a Baptist theology school--which demanded I know the Bible well. I don't have to look up scriptures--I know them by heart, and my arguments are my own--not anything I copy and paste. I will admit one thing about what Apologette accuses me of--one will not find most of my specific approaches anywhere--they are unique to me--and they are my compilation. Not a copy and paste from anywhere--nor can anyone find my specific approach anywhere, for the main.

There is one thing those who claim a particular theology hate, and that is---making them drink their own poison. IMO--the Bible is a great and powerful truth--but it becomes a poison to them which the Biblical scriptures testify against. That was the Savior's approach--He knew the scriptures--and the traditional Jews could not put Him down, because of that. Jesus laid it out so plainly, the only way He could be silenced, is death--or banning Him from their society. And the Bible, and it's message--is what I focus on here--and well we should, instead of complaining about the Biblical p***ages posted.

And, it appears to me--that is what the moderator has threatened me here with--banning--unless I stop posting the Biblical scriptures over and over again. He states there are those here who are protesting the posting of the Biblical scriptures--that it is too repe***ious. I can understand their position--the Bible carries a very powerful witness--and anyone whom it runs over suffers a great loss--especially to their pride.

So, my question--why are you complaining--or others? This is a Christian forum? We should be complaining because the Biblical p***ages are not posted enough--not complaining they are posted too much.

Acts 17:11---King James Version (KJV)
    11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

May we do the same--searching the scriptures over and over again.

alanmolstad

yes....Posting Bible verses on to the forum is not against the rules.

I dont write the posted comments for others, so I really dont care if one person likes to use the bible in his posts while the next guy does not.
    I dont care about such things.

Feel free to do so or not, and enjoy.

But spamming is very much against the rules.
    So don't think you can get away with spamming only because you were spamming out of the Bible.....thats not going to work.

as I said before, its not so much the things people post that are spamming, its the repe***ive manner they are posted that turns them into spamming.
    that is against the rules.

So use your head ...

as for other members complaining about spamming?
    Other members are pointing out the rules.....and are correct in doing so.
    They didn't make the rules, they are just pointing them out!

I would ask any member of this forum to REPORT any post that they think is spamming.
    List the location of the posts in question.

So the fact that some members of this forum are raising this issue is to their credit, and I thank them for their help in keeping this site a "Spamming-Free zone"!

On a side note:
    I think the issue is getting behind us.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 04-01-2017 at 06:22 AM.

dberrie2000

So don't think you can get away with spamming only because you were spamming out of the Bible.....thats not going to work.
    How does one spam "out of the Bible"? By posting scriptures which testify against one's theology? By posting them too often?

as I said before, its not so much the things people post that are spamming, its the repe***ive manner they are posted that turns them into spamming.
    The Bible is repe***ive--it preaches the same things over and over.

Again--I believe it's the fact I post the Biblical scriptures which testify against one's theology, which represents the objection.

If I were to post only a few scriptures--that would be one thing. Alan--I post a lot of different scriptures over and over. Again--more scriptures than all the posters combined--in the last year. Probably much more.

Why are we not seeing the call for MORE Biblical discussion and quotes? I'm not going to busy myself with the yada-yada--we need more Biblical based discussion, with the particular verses--and forget our own man-made opinions, and personal arguments.

My question, again--where are those who use the Bible here? Where are they? They claim to be Christians, and yet--either do not engage Biblical discussions, resort to diversion away from the Bible-- deny what is found in the Biblical quotes--or complain of those who do use the Bible often.

Why? Why have you threatened me with banning if I use the Biblical scriptures too often? Too much? Why are those here complaining about the use of the Bible too often?

Why is using the Bible too often considered "spamming" here? Again--if it is just one or two verses one is using--then I would agree. But that is not the case for me--I use numerous Biblical scriptures, from every Book found in the Biblical NT.

Don't the users of this board find it strange that one is being threatened with banning because they use the Bible too often?

alanmolstad

How does one spam "out of the Bible"? ....?
    Perhaps I have somehow not made this point clear to you?

I will try again:

Lets pretend you were a member of a message board that was concerned with cats.
    Lets also say that you love cats too.

Now one day you post the comment "I love cats"

The phrase is something that all members of that same forum would expect to see posted from time to time from everyone.

Now lets say that for some reason, you decide to post "I love cats" all the time.
    You post it over and over....and when other people tell you that "Thats enough" you dont stop and just keep posting the same "I love cats"

Thats called spamming.

Its when you take something that is harmless by itself, and turn it into something against the rules by overuse.

You can do this type of misbehavior with anything you might want to post onto a forum.
    Yes, even a Bible verse.

So there is no wiggle-room here when it comes to spamming and following the rules.

as far as a forum Mod telling people that if they break the rules there will be consequences?...
    That's what the Mod does.

alanmolstad

do you have any more questions?

If you do, then lets hear em.
    get them out so that you will not be able to say later that you "Didn't understand"

I have tried to be very honest and tell what is expected from all members.

This has nothing to do with a person's religion...This is only about the rules.

I dont really care what religion a member is a believer in, I simply want everyone to be able to post on the equal footing that maintaining the rules allows.

dberrie2000

Perhaps I have somehow not made this point clear to you?

I will try again:

Lets pretend you were a member of a message board that was concerned with cats.
    Lets also say that you love cats too.

Now one day you post the comment "I love cats"

The phrase is something that all members of that same forum would expect to see posted from time to time from everyone.

Now lets say that for some reason, you decide to post "I love cats" all the time.
    You post it over and over....and when other people tell you that "Thats enough" you dont stop and just keep posting the same "I love cats"

Thats called spamming.
    "I love cats" is a singular phrase. How are you comparing that to the fact I post a wide range of scriptures? How is that related to "spamming"?

Again--if I am posting one singular verse over and over--then OK. But my posts contain a large number of Biblical scriptures. True--when addressing specific subjects--that may call for the same verses which apply to that particular argument(as there is just so many verses found in the NT which apply to a particular concern)--but even then--I usually post a number of verses which apply to that argument--not just one or two.

It seems to me the argument is more catered to some posters not liking me posting scriptures which testify against their theology. And I post from every Book in the Biblical NT. Numerous scriptures. A wide range of them--covering a number of different viewpoints on theology. My arguments are unique to me--they are not copy and pasted. The only thing I am copying and pasting, for the main--are the Biblical scriptures.

My arguments are based on those scriptures--and I use the Bible as support of my arguments--something I don't find many doing here--if at all. The "I love cats" is a misnomer, IMO--simply because of the broad number of scriptures I use, even if I appertain specific scriptures to the same argument. The reason I do that is because they are seldom addressed--and it is the SAME argument. The same scriptures apply to the same arguments. And they are not usually one or two scriptures--but a number of them.

Alan--no one is questioning your authority to do whatever you seem good. Go ahead with whatever you have in your mind to do--- is my mindset to your approach. My point is--those here claim to be Christians--and that claim is inconsistent in banning someone who uses the Biblical scriptures too much. An anomaly.

You claim one need to ask you when they have questions. But, what my experience is--I have asked you a question--and your usual response is, you are the moderator, and will do as you please--without touching my question.

Such as--will you give me an example of "spamming"--which you find in my posts? No answer. You just seem to resort to some copy and paste answer, which has nothing to do with my question, and everything to do with you being the moderator.

Again--do as you wish, but threatening someone with being banned because they post scriptures too often is not consistent with Christianity.

Now we are embroiled in a controversy--and taken away from the Biblical discussions--which seems to be avoided anyway.

To the board--let's get back to the Bible.

Revelation 3:12---King James Version (KJV)
    12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

alanmolstad

yes, just follow the rules from now on and you will be fine...

How does one spam "out of the Bible"? By posting scriptures which testify against one's theology? By posting them too often?

The Bible is repe***ive--it preaches the same things over and over.

Again--I believe it's the fact I post the Biblical scriptures which testify against one's theology, which represents the objection.

If I were to post only a few scriptures--that would be one thing. Alan--I post a lot of different scriptures over and over. Again--more scriptures than all the posters combined--in the last year. Probably much more.

Why are we not seeing the call for MORE Biblical discussion and quotes? I'm not going to busy myself with the yada-yada--we need more Biblical based discussion, with the particular verses--and forget our own man-made opinions, and personal arguments.

My question, again--where are those who use the Bible here? Where are they? They claim to be Christians, and yet--either do not engage Biblical discussions, resort to diversion away from the Bible-- deny what is found in the Biblical quotes--or complain of those who do use the Bible often.

Why? Why have you threatened me with banning if I use the Biblical scriptures too often? Too much? Why are those here complaining about the use of the Bible too often?

Why is using the Bible too often considered "spamming" here? Again--if it is just one or two verses one is using--then I would agree. But that is not the case for me--I use numerous Biblical scriptures, from every Book found in the Biblical NT.

Don't the users of this board find it strange that one is being threatened with banning because they use the Bible too often?
    I think Alan answered this quite clearly:

The Bible scriptures are a source of SPAM on this site and God is NOT a member.

dberrie2000

I think Alan answered this quite clearly:

The Bible scriptures are a source of SPAM on this site and God is NOT a member.
    I read Alan's comments with great curiosity.

Julie--I've thought about that a lot today, and even during the Conference session today--and I just can't quite figure that one out. Since when do Christians think like that?

Julie--I've thought about that a lot today, and even during the Conference session today--and I just can't quite figure that one out. Since when do Christians think like that?
    I think these forums tend to attract more of the pharisee types rather than the true follower types. Unfortunately, true followers come here to find out information about their own beliefs and about others and are more often than not, mislead.

This has to be just like in the time of Christ where some Jews turned to and listened to God and others to the Pharisees whom claimed to know God.

alanmolstad

I think these forums tend to attract more of the pharisee types rather than the true follower types. .
    nail on the head there....

alanmolstad

What I have noticed is that all the people that get into trouble because they are breaking the rules, do so because they believe they should not be asked to follow the same rules as everyone else.

They get it into their head that what they are posting on to the forum is just so darn important, that we have no right to ask them to follow the same rules as the rest.

This is why when they are reminded that they need to conform their posted comments to always be within the rules they tend to react with anger.
    Being asked to follow the same rules as others actually offends them.

This is why they tend to not last long, and is the main reason the word "BANNED" ends up below their screen name.

and yet the path out of this situation is so clear and so easy.

Just follow the rules.

Yes, that is all you have to do to avoid any trouble.

Just follow the rules.

The rules say you can't post the same stuff over and over and over, so don't do that.
    It's that simple.