Thread: Are Mormon MInisters or Preachers Paid

Default Are Mormon MInisters or Preachers Paid

The rumor is that they are not. But i have heard differently. Which is it and why
    check the new book thread to find my new books

They are not. Only those who work full-time for the Church, like General Authorities and I think mission presidents, receive a stipend.

Quote Originally Posted by Erundur View Post
    They are not. Only those who work full-time for the Church, like General Authorities and I think mission presidents, receive a stipend.
    So much for their so-called 'unpaid leadership. . .' I guess the bishops are not worth their wage. . .their time and efforts are worthless. . .

My Bible says the workman is worthy of his wage, and the ox should work in hope of being fed.

19 ¶ Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
    20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
    21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    The rumor is that they are not. But i have heard differently. Which is it and why
    https://archive.sltrib.com/article.p...50&itype=cmsid

Mormons lie.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Quote Originally Posted by Erundur View Post
    19 ¶ Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
    20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
    21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

The Mormon cult rakes in billions from Ti the paying members. They are one of the richest churches in the world and they give a pittance to charity.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/insig...-mad_n_1769539

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/co...mbers_demands/

This evil cult hires propagandists on Madison Ave., NYC, to shape its image, based on its ugly lies.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    The Mormon cult rakes in billions from Ti the paying members.
    ---
    That's because we aren't concerned with laying up for ourselves treasures upon earth.

They are one of the richest churches in the world and they give a pittance to charity.
    ---
    That's a myth.

This evil cult hires propagandists on Madison Ave., NYC, to shape its image, based on its ugly lies.
    ---
    I don't care if Calvary Chapel hires propagandists.

the scripture quoted by Erunder is misused and doe snot apply to being paid a salary. Although it is interesting to see him post that since the goal of most mormons is to be rich

the goal of most mormons is to be rich
    ----------
    LOL! That explains why we don't get paid for ministering, and why we voluntarily ***he our income in addition to other charitable giving.

The poster is clearly projecting.

Not necessarily projecting--he may just be trolling:

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.) ---wikipedia
    From the forum rules: "The definition of a derogatory term is one that insults, belittles or treats a group or individual with contempt. "

"If you have to resort to making fun of people and their ideas, you have nothing valuable to contribute here."

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Not necessarily projecting--he may just be trolling:

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.) ---wikipedia
    Making false accusations is a sin

Making false accusations is a sin

Then you should stop doing it.

"Making false accusations is a sin"

Yes, it is. That is one MORE reason to stop being a troll. Maybe we could amend the dictionary definition using your insightful statement, as follows:

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet--OFTEN MAKING FALSE ACCUSATIONS--to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages OR FALSE ACCUSATIONS in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.) "

What do you think of that?
    From the forum rules: "The definition of a derogatory term is one that insults, belittles or treats a group or individual with contempt. "

"If you have to resort to making fun of people and their ideas, you have nothing valuable to contribute here."

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    The Mormon cult rakes in billions from Ti the paying members. They are one of the richest churches in the world and they give a pittance to charity.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/insig...-mad_n_1769539
    https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/co...mbers_demands/

Wow!!! Is that it??? I make more than that and I am just a cubicle sitting middle manager.
    Although you can not be sure that any of this “evidence” is true.
    I noticed that you said the Mormon Church is ”one” of the richest churches in the world... I would argue with that, however merely saying it’s “one” of them could mean just about anything, you would also have to define what in your mind constiitutes a “Church”. I know you love to lump all Christian Churches together when it suits you, but in cases like this I’ll bet you’ll change the definition.
    Also, I don’t know where people get this idea that the Church should give anything to charity. The purpose of tiithing within the Church is not for general charity (Although one could argue that salvation is the greatest act of charity) the main purpose of the Church is 3 fold,
    1. Missionary work.
    2. Perfecting the Saints.
    3. Redeeming the dead.
    To that end the purpose of tiithing is for missionary work throughout the world, maintaining church meeting houses, Bishop storehouses, church office buildings, Church schools and lastly Temples. There is a little tiithing that goes to charities, hence they’re thinking about adding a 4th. However, there is a reason you “pay” tiithing but “give” to charities.
    The Church teaches correct principles, it is up to the individual members to govern themselves in such things as charitable giving.... and they do it very generously.
    A March 12 2012 a Pew research study and also a PENN study named
    “Called to Serve: The Prosocial Behavior of Active Latter-day Saints” both found
    that Mormons donate up to 3.25 times more of their time to volunteer work in the community than the average nonMormon church goer, and up to 7 times more if you include work that is counted as a Church sponsored activity. It also found that Mormons give up to 3 times more on average in tiithing and offerings than the average nonMormon Church goer gives. Even if you do not count tiithes, offerings, and charity given to or through the Church, Mormons on average still give 3 times more of their money to non profit charities than the average American does.
    I have personally been responsible for and governed many charities not azzociated with the LDS Church and I found one thing to be always true… those that complain the most about how much money is being given and how the money is to be spent, are almost always the ones who give little or nothing to charity.
    Last edited by theway; 06-29-2019 at 09:28 AM.