Thread: Bible Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    IncitingRiots

The Bible is not the only account of a great flood. Numerous different civilizations have told that story, and long before Christianity even existed. It is likely that a flood did happen, however it is physically, and logically impossible for the story of Noah to be anything more than a nice little fairy tale to tell the kids before bedtime.

David Gunn

Quote Originally Posted by IncitingRiots View Post
    The Bible is not the only account of a great flood. Numerous different civilizations have told that story, and long before Christianity even existed. It is likely that a flood did happen, however it is physically, and logically impossible for the story of Noah to be anything more than a nice little fairy tale to tell the kids before bedtime.
    Would you care to expand on that? I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning behind this statement.

Actually, IR, if you're referring to the Gilgamesh Epic, it is quite different in many details from the story of Noah and the flood. http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/...amesh/tab1.htm

Exactly what other flood stories are you referring to? I know of several that support the biblical details. Please list the ones you know of that do not support the biblical story along with credible data. Academic arguments should be specific with historical or archaeological evidence noted--broad statements with no citations are simply opinion.
    How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. 1 John 3:1

PostTribber

Default no 'flood' before bed!

It is likely that a flood did happen, however it is physically, and logically impossible for the story of Noah to be anything more than a nice little fairy tale to tell the kids before bedtime.
    I wouldn't advise telling any story that mentions water to kids 'before' bedtime.

solafide55

Default Blah Blah Blah

Yowzers!!!

What we have here is a lot of heat and no action, we need to spice it up. Ready!!!!!!!!!! Who was there when the earth was formed? Anyone????? Seriously I'm not joking, who was there when a flood did or did not occur???? Anyone??? Seriously someone had to be there, okay, where's the documentary footage??? History Channel??? Scientist, surely you were there to record all the events using the scientific method and such??? No one was there, big shocker, then how do you know anything. You don't you are purely basing it on conjecture that has at best a limited reliability and is in no way shape or form conclusive.

For those of you who doubt the bible's account that is fine, but I'd be far less concerned with the account, accuracy, and time frame of Noah's flood and much more concerned with the unmistakable truth that your going to die and when you do you will face your creator and give an account of your life. Are you prepared, or will your creator test you and find you wanting?
    Last edited by solafide55; 10-20-2009 at 02:21 PM.

johnd

I guess the wind done left wind11's sails...

couldn't even answer my one simple question...

actually their own question... how long and how many in Nimrod's day?