Thread: Bible Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Norrin Radd

Quote Originally Posted by wind11 View Post
    ...The Bible presents a line of people with dates of birth from Adam to Noah, to Jacob, to king David, to Jesus. If that is open to interpretation, the whole book is. If the flood took place in 3300 b.c., as Dr. TV Oommen suggests, the genealogy needs to be adjusted, the gap needs to be filled with people.
    I'm sorry, but that's a strawman. It was common for genealogies to include only the "most significant" members of the lineage, with "significance" determined by the intent of the author recording the genealogy. One can see this illustrated by comparing overlapping genealogies from different portions of Scripture. Such an understanding is within the bounds of most current views of "inerrancy."

Now, I happen to believe in a literal Adam and Eve, and a literal Flood that destroyed all but 8 humans. I believe this because there are some rather important theological points in the NT that rely on this truth.

Since geneticists affirm that it is impossible for current humanity to have descended from a single pair of modern humans in any feasible time frame, or from a set of 8 (some of whom were related) even more recently, I understand that modern genetic science is incomplete or faulty. And since I understand that, I may as well believe the other sciences are similarly lacking, and take the earth as being extremely "young" compared to what standard science ***erts.

wind11

Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    Since geneticists affirm that it is impossible for current humanity to have descended from a single pair of modern humans
    And what is their theory, there were many ape-to-human evolutions, from many monkies ? That would really paint them into a corner. What would that do for race-relation ? (wasn't there a racist theory based on such notion?)

Didn't geneticists, through back sequencing, ended up at one mitochondrial Eve (even if 140,000 years ago), then said that 'of course we have to ***ume there were many more women' ?

In your opinion, should the blood-lines and dates of births from the ark's landing to Nimrod be interpreted strictly or openly ?
    Arphaxad was born to Shem at the age of 100, two years after the Flood.
    Salah was born to Arphaxad at the age of 35.
    Eber was born to Salah at the age of 30.
    Peleg was born to Eber at the age of 34. The earth was divided in his day.

Cush begat/became the father of Nimrod. Nimrod is the great-grandson of Noah. Noah is still alive.
    Peleg is born 101 years after the Flood, in his life-time the continents are divided. How many people were born up to then ?
    No date for Nimrod, but could we ***ume that he was contemporary with Noah's other great-grandsons ?
    question:
    Were there enough people 100-150 years after the Flood to form a kingdom, to engage in such ambitious project as a tower to outer space ?