Thread: Self-Composed-Questionaire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    asdf

Quote Originally Posted by AllyManderson View Post
    Why does one sin (****sexuality) recieve more media and political attention than another (murder) ?

I can't answer that. Because people, just have their own distaste for particular sins?

I really don't know.
    Because everyone in society is in agreement that murder is harmful and destructive to the community.

Gay and lesbian people do no such harm, as same-sex relationships are between consenting adults, and there is no compelling non-religious reason to outlaw it.

Maybe if you look for Pro-Life documents you will find them in abundance.
    In last November's US elections, 5 or 6 states (IIRC) had some sort of anti-abortion bill on the ballot, all supported by the "pro-life" movement. There were also one or two states with ballot initiatives removing/restricting rights for gay and lesbian people (most famously, Proposition 8 in California removing marriage rights, but I believe there was also an initiative about adoption rights).

Pro-life groups, religions, and charities - most significantly the Mormon and Catholic churches - spent a m***ively disproportionate amount of money opposing Proposition 8 as they did on any of the abortion bills.

I think the question is, for those groups who ostensibly see abortion as the unjust taking of a life, why should removing the rights of gay and lesbian people be seen as more important, more significant, more deserving of spending "pro-life" dollars?

AllyManderson

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    Because everyone in society is in agreement that murder is harmful and destructive to the community.

Gay and lesbian people do no such harm, as same-sex relationships are between consenting adults, and there is no compelling non-religious reason to outlaw it.

In last November's US elections, 5 or 6 states (IIRC) had some sort of anti-abortion bill on the ballot, all supported by the "pro-life" movement. There were also one or two states with ballot initiatives removing/restricting rights for gay and lesbian people (most famously, Proposition 8 in California removing marriage rights, but I believe there was also an initiative about adoption rights).

Pro-life groups, religions, and charities - most significantly the Mormon and Catholic churches - spent a m***ively disproportionate amount of money opposing Proposition 8 as they did on any of the abortion bills.

I think the question is, for those groups who ostensibly see abortion as the unjust taking of a life, why should removing the rights of gay and lesbian people be seen as more important, more significant, more deserving of spending "pro-life" dollars?
    I am from the United Kingdom firend and I don't know what the North American papers are filled with.

We have allowed "Civil Partnership" which cannot be called marraige.

Abortion gets a lot more attention over here in the UK (particularly in Scotland). So I could not answer the question fairly.