Thread: RPGs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ActRaiser

Default RPGs

RPG's are role playing games. (Or Rocket Prepelled Grenades)
    I think that many people don't understand that RPGs are not always Satanic and spiritualistic. These days they tend to be more so, however.

Games like Kult, World of Darkness, and others center around themes of witchcraft and evil spirits.

What I don't understand, is why do people care about different types of games such as the Final Fantasy Series? Prior to Final Fantasy VII, there was little to moderate amount of actual occult material presented, and I always overlooked it when I was young.

At such an impressionable age, when I should have been sucked in by evil spirits, I was instead a normal child despite being in constant contact with such bric a brac as Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, etcetera.

So my final question is, why is it that Role Playing Games and magical video games with fairy tale elements are put into the same category as Ouija boards?

AR--

God forbids any contact with/interest in the occult, and role-playing games are a tool of the occult that can open a door of communication. Demons have made it quite clear that they are very interested in getting to know us better--they consider us "homes" (Matthew 12:44). Playing them usually draws people away--not toward--God.

It's fortunate that you weren't effected by your exposure to these games, but that doesn't mean that another person would not be effected or would not suffer because of them.
    How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. 1 John 3:1

ActRaiser

How? :/

I mean, RPGs are more like a certain kind of food you can eat.
    Some foods are dangerous to other people that aren't so bad for you to eat.

Its not like RPGs are like cigarrettes or wine.

It all comes down to what is in the game. What is it based on? Does it focus on using spells? Does it call demons to aid in the attack against another player in the game? Does it train you to be a wizard? If it is based in the occult (and please show me an RPG that isn't--really--I'd like to know about it) then it falls into the "stay away from it" category.

Dr. Kurt Koch documented, over a 40 year ministry, the effects of the occult on people's lives--including Christians who chose to play around with it. I suggest you take a look at a few of his books, filled with documented case studies, before you make a final decision on RPGs.

Sin, like bad food, can make you very sick.
    How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. 1 John 3:1

ActRaiser

I have the old 3rd/4th and 2nd edition D&D. They aren't focused on the occult, even if you are a wizard. What I do as Dungeon Master, is outlaw divination and necromancy. Thats all there really is to it. In the Bible, show me an example of a witch who cast a spell that caused lightning to fall on from the sky, granted wishes or shape changed.

Columcille

Default Tree and Leaf.

I should like to opine on the subject.

If one can get a copy of "The Tolkien Reader" by JRR Tolkien, I think the essay "On Fairy Tales" is enlightening. Of course, it is not discussing RPGs. But the substory or plot of most RPGs resolve around fantasy. So I believe careful consideration should be made to address this. As we see, many Christians are ok with Tolkein and Lewis because firstly they were Christians. Secondly, like in Lewis's case, the imagery is heavily symbolic with Christian metaphors; or in the case of Tolkien, such imagery is accidental or implied by the Christian. For instance, Gandalf is seen in some ways to be a Christ figure, but you cannot carry on such metaphor should you realize that Gandalf's name in the "Silmarillion" is Olorin, one of the Istari. So if you push the envelope in regards to Tolkien, why do all the other fantasy writers not given the same treatment?

I do not have the time to research "Tree and Leaf" and what Lewis said on the subject as well, but the idea of "subcreation" is a powerful tool in actually supporting theism.

BTW, ActRaiser... when you mentioned RPG to me, I ***umed you meant Rocket Propelled Grenade due to my being in Iraq. My military mindset did not connect to Role-Playing Games. I certainly am not trying to draw a parrallel connection to the acronym.
    Last edited by Columcille; 03-27-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: btw

Mark Beesley

Quote Originally Posted by ActRaiser View Post
    So my final question is, why is it that Role Playing Games and magical video games with fairy tale elements are put into the same category as Ouija boards?
    Because some people have difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality. As long as you aren't delusional, go for it. (I have yet to meet a demon who had thumbs to control the joystick. )

Columcille

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Beesley View Post
    Because some people have difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality. As long as you aren't delusional, go for it. (I have yet to meet a demon who had thumbs to control the joystick. )
    I think there is a more subtle and dangerous aspect which you have stumbled on. Your bracketed quote is what I really want to address. I have already mentioned the power of myth or fantasy as a subcreation that supports theism. So innately, such fantasy is harmless when it is portraying a universal human experience or demonstrating a universal morality where the fantasy is only the medium or devise. As such, reading Hans Christian Anderson or the Grimm Brothers, we see such stories captivate both young and old and in essense is teaching a cultural ethos.

You stating that you have yet to meet a demon who had thumbs to control the joystick is a truthful statement. Our human experience places us at the fault of sin. But it is the nature of the demon to attack us in which way they can. In some cases, the best defense of the Demon is to captivate the mind and deny their own existence. No devil, no God, no absolute morality, a state of moral relativism. Anton LeVay retaught that the devil is one's own desires being restricted. I guess in a way the best way to quiet the devil in oneself is to act on that desire. It is likened to an itch that drives you mad, unless you are allowed to itch it. So religion's teaching us to have self-control and restrict our desires is counter-productive. This is extremely diabolical, for such an addiction to one's own flesh actually prevents us to reach our full potential. So when you stated the paranthesis, it can be possible that the demon is presently in battle mode. Children who play games all day, who do not control their desires or set boundaries, will become lazy in their school studies, will become lazy in their life, will reject Christ and become socially reclusive.

chuckt

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so [is] he: .....

The version I always remember is "For as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he".

I learned this verse while learning about role playing games and the dangers. When you play Role Playing Games (RPG) or shooters, you are playing another character and that is what is troubling because people are not games because they are real lives and not points on a score sheet and I don't think games like "shooters" are for normal people unless you are in the military and then it still isn't normal.