Thread: Prayers for Dead Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jade84116

Smile Solution Found!

I figured something was wrong due to 2 Corinthians 6:2, KJV, and now I think I know why after some more research. First, the Septuagint that contained the Apocrypha was for Non-Hebrew speaking Jews outside of Judea and it's environs only with the Hebrew speaking Jews in Palestine using the Hebrew Bible that didn't contain the Apocrypha. Second, the early Christians were all Jews prior to Cornelius and headquartered in Jerusalem so, they would've primarily used the Hebrew Bible. Third, the fact that the Hebrew Bible didn't include the Apocrypha suggests reservations about such among the Jews and early Christians. Fourth, the above would reconcile things with 2 Cor. 6:2, KJV, and explain why Prayers for the Dead didn't enter Christendom until the 3rd century A.D. and indicates only a slow acceptance of the Apocrypha in the Septuagint within Christendom. Fifth, this would mean that the early Christians of New Testament times didn't practice Prayers for the Dead (i.e., the Post-Apostolic and Ante-Nicene Fathers advocating such didn't occur until 150 AD or later after the New Testament was written). The dilemma I was in is now reconciled. I consider this thread valuable if for no other reason than the additional things that I learned about the Apocrypha. I consider this thread over now.
    Last edited by jade84116; 03-24-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by jade84116 View Post
    First, the Septuagint that contained the Apocrypha was for Non-Hebrew speaking Jews outside of Judea and it's environs only with the Hebrew speaking Jews in Palestine using the Hebrew Bible that didn't contain the Apocrypha.
    Yes, the Septuagint m****cript was a translation. However, the Jews did not have an official canon of the scriptures before 95-100 A.D. (Jamnia council), and even this Jewish canon was contested until the fifth century.

Second, the early Christians were all Jews prior to Cornelius and headquartered in Jerusalem so, they would've primarily used the Hebrew Bible.
    Around 96% of the quotations in the New Testament, from the Old Testament, have come from the Septuagint. This is why we know that the authors of the New Testament quoted from the Septuagint when they were writing their books. They had preferred the Septuangit much more than the Hebraic m****cript.

Third, the fact that the Hebrew Bible didn't include the Apocrypha suggests reservations about such among the Jews and early Christians.
    Not with the Christians but with the Jews. Remember, the authors of the New Testament had quoted largely from the Septuagint. The Jews disliked the Septuagint because the books were in Greek and not in Hebrew. They were xenophobe, anti-Gentile and anti-Christians.

Fourth, the above would reconcile things with 2 Cor. 6:2, KJV, and explain why Prayers for the Dead didn't enter Christendom until the 3rd century A.D. and indicates only a slow acceptance of the Apocrypha in the Septuagint within Christendom.
    There was no Christian canon until the fourth century. Many books were accepted and disputed. The Catholic Church had fixed the canon for the future generations.

Fifth, this would mean that the early Christians of New Testament times didn't practice Prayers for the Dead (i.e., the Post-Apostolic and Ante-Nicene Fathers advocating such didn't occur until 150 AD or later after the New Testament was written).
    The twenty-seven books of the New Testament were ***embled in a codex between the third and the fourth century. There was no New Testament in the first and second century, but only a plurality of books, some were contested others not (Some books that we have in our present New Testament were contested, ex: The book of Revelation).

The dilemma I was in is now reconciled. I consider this thread valuable if for no other reason than the additional things that I learned about the Apocrypha. I consider this thread over now.
    Always remember this: Paul, Peter, John, Luke, etc, all they quoted texts of the Septuagint in their writings. In brief, they did not want to use the hebraic m****cript for some reasons.

Trinity

alanmolstad

its a natural and normal thing to do to remember the lost loved ones in your prayers.

Its hard to lose someone you love deeply...its hard to not have them around anymore to talk to.

We should cut each other some slack on such things, knowing that we all feel a lot of pain at such times.

But the truth is, that we should pray to God alone.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    its a natural and normal thing to do to remember the lost loved ones in your prayers.

Its hard to lose someone you love deeply...its hard to not have them around anymore to talk to.

We should cut each other some slack on such things, knowing that we all feel a lot of pain at such times.

But the truth is, that we should pray to God alone.
    Oh so so true! I recall the word saying such an act as visiting widows at this time is "pure" religion before the Father.