Thread: Monotheism a Salvation Issue?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ActRaiser

Default Monotheism a Salvation Issue?

Can you go to Hell believing in the existence of other gods, if you only worship God and trust in Jesus as your salvation?

tealblue

Quote Originally Posted by ActRaiser View Post
    Can you go to Hell believing in the existence of other gods, if you only worship God and trust in Jesus as your salvation?

It all depends on your level of culpability. We can't judge the human soul.

kentuckypreacher

You can't be mistaken about belief in the one true God (Hebrews 11:6; John 8:24; Romans 10:17)

asdf

I believe what you're referring to is henotheism, the belief that more than one deity exists, but only one is to be worshipped and/or that all others are inferior/subordinate to the one. It's quite different from a "real" polytheism.

There is evidence to this end in the Bible - the Psalms, for example, frequently say that YHWH is "exalted far above all other gods".

As time progressed, the argument in the Hebrew scriptures evolved slightly - from "YHWH is the greatest of the gods" to "YHWH is the only deity, all others are imposters". See, for example, the latter half of Isaiah.

Functionally, henotheism has been a part of the Christian tradition as well - the existence of angels, demons, and saints are functionally equivalent to demigods, spiritual en***ies that are ontologically inferior to God.

Paul, too, seems to acknowledge the possibility of the existence of other deities - all being inferior to Jesus - in his famous adaptation of the Shema (the Jewish creed: Hear O Israel, YHWH our God, YHWH is one):
    For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.
    -1 Corinthians 8.5-6
    Last edited by asdf; 04-03-2009 at 11:18 PM.

ActRaiser

Functionally, henotheism has been a part of the Christian tradition as well - the existence of angels, demons, and saints are functionally equivalent to demigods, spiritual en***ies that are ontologically inferior to God.
    The existence of other spirits does not equate to a belief in other gods.

asdf

The existence of other spirits does not equate to a belief in other gods.
    I agree. A demigod or spirit en***y is not necessarily the same as a deity.

Radix

The heart of the matter here is who is your faith in? The answer for this is the slam dunk "Hear O Isreal, the LORD our God is one." While other "gods" are mentioned, they are never considered to be equal to the "LORD our God." Mankind is always trying to bestow great ***les. King, Patriarch, and even Lord (as they do in England.) Joseph Smith begged for the ***le Lt. General, though he never did anything to earn it.

If you believe in the possibilities of beings just as Holy, Almighty and Great as your God, then you do not actually believe in the one and only God. If you do not have an accurate picture of God, then you cannot have an accurate faith. Does God recognize the predicaments we are in? Of course, but He knows exactly when we are chosing to ignore and reject Him.

BuckGardner

No! John 17:3 ends that idea.

kentuckypreacher

Default One God

I will repeat an earlier post, which has not be answered: one cannot be wrong about faith in the one true God and be pleasing to God (Hebrews 11:6). Unless one believes in the Deity of Christ, he will die in his sins (John 8:24).

tealblue

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckypreacher View Post
    I will repeat an earlier post, which has not be answered: one cannot be wrong about faith in the one true God and be pleasing to God (Hebrews 11:6). Unless one believes in the Deity of Christ, he will die in his sins (John 8:24).
    Well I tend to believe that any Mormon, jehovahs witness, Muslim if they knew the truth would not remain in a non christian religion. I hate to see someone put salvation into simply a correct choice issue.

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by tealblue View Post
    Well I tend to believe that any Mormon, jehovahs witness, Muslim if they knew the truth would not remain in a non christian religion. I hate to see someone put salvation into simply a correct choice issue.
    So if you decided that Baal is God and not YHWH you can still be saved? I mean as long as you call him Jesus as mormonism does.. Hey why not build a gold calf in your yard bow down to it and worship it? After all as long as you give it the right names who cares what your God is, right? This is why Jesus told us:
    John 17:3
    And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

I think you need to rethink your whole premise.. IHS jim

ErikErik

This is why all roads do not lead to heaven and eternal salvation. Belief in a false God or Christ will not save you. Allah cannot save anyone. Nor can a god who used to be a man and had to learn obedience and progress in order to become a god and rule a planet. God is a jealous God and He will not share His glory with anyone.

The Holy Spirit illuminates the Truth to those who are spiritually born-again.

ErikErik

Which God and Jesus are you talking about? Allah? The lds gods? A Christ who was once a mortal and the brother of satan, who was not born of a virgin? Bible says there are false christs and it will get worse in the last days.

I totally agree with KentuckyPreacher.

ActRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by ErikErik View Post
    Which God and Jesus are you talking about? Allah? The lds gods? A Christ who was once a mortal and the brother of satan, who was not born of a virgin? Bible says there are false christs and it will get worse in the last days.

I totally agree with KentuckyPreacher.
    The OP is over 2 years old, but I'll come back here and elucidate on what I mean.

What I mean is, kind of like, could you have a believe in other deities, more like fairies or something nonsensical, and still be a Christian. Not have other deities that you worship.

alanmolstad

oh yes...
    You can even go to hell although you believe in but One god too.....

alanmolstad

after a bit of thought...I believe the answer is..."Yes, you can go to Hell"

I think the answer is "yes" because if you think there are "other gods" then you clearly don't have a clue who the correct Jesus is....and you therefore are not actually worshiping the true God.

If you worship the wrong god you cant expect to enjoy the benefits of worshiping the True God.

Therefore if you believe in other gods, you cant be believing in the correct Jesus at the same time, (you just are worshiping a false idea that has the name "Jesus")

So you are lost, and die in your sins.

BUT....(and there is a big **** to this)...but you also have to keep in mind that God is always reaching out to people.
    There are people that might live in a country controlled by the teachings of Islam...there are people that live in a land controlled by the teachings of Mormonism...and in both cases we need to understand that even if they grow up in a world with a totally screwed-up understanding of God, the real God is still there with them each day.

God's word teaches us that there are things about god that each of us can learn by looking at the world around us.

This means that God can use the things that are made to draw you closer and closer to Himself.

This is why even if you are Born in the land of Islam or the Land of Mormon, God has not abandoned you.
    You are always before the lord's eyes...and he is always at work at drawing you to a better and better understanding of Himself.

If you respond to the light you see given to you, then it draws you to the greater light...

You are only responsible in how you responded to the light from heaven you were sent.

so the answer to the question asked at thre start of this is - "yes"
    But we also need to remember that even people that have a totally screwed-up understanding of God will be forgiven if they have responded correctly from the light from heaven they were sent....

And...THAT is the real issue here.....
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-21-2014 at 02:09 PM.

alanmolstad

it would mean you dont have a clue who the read god is, the real jesus is, or the real salvation is about...thus you burn

alanmolstad

Believing in "other gods" means that you dont know who the One and only true God is....

Thus it means that the Jesus you have placed your trust in is not actually the one true Jesus that brings salvation.

and, that means you have placed your trust in a false god, and a false Jesus.....and therefore your sins are not forgiven, and you remain condemned by your sin.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Believing in "other gods" means that you dont know who the One and only true God is....

Thus it means that the Jesus you have placed your trust in is not actually the one true Jesus that brings salvation.

and, that means you have placed your trust in a false god, and a false Jesus.....and therefore your sins are not forgiven, and you remain condemned by your sin.
    I saw this topic appear in the trending feed...I was going to add a comment...but when I read what I have already said here I decided that I cant improve on it....