Thread: Does obedience to the commandments carry any eternal consequences?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fig-bearing Thistle View Post
    After asking whether Baptism was a commandment, the answer from the LDS critics was "yes". But then comments drifted into the idea that there were no eternal consequences for not obeying this commandment.

Later I asked whether repentance was a commandment. I am waiting for a response from the non-LDS to this question. (LDS believe it is a commandment btw.)

So here is my final question.

Does obedience (or disobedience) to God's commandments carry any eternal consequences for the Christian? Or to put it differently, is obedience to God's commandments at all necessary for salvation?

My guess is that most LDS critics will say 'NO', and use scriptures like Romans 8:28-29 to show it.
    Disobedience to the commandment to follow the Jesus of the Bible does carry an eternal consequence as I'm sure Fig has found out by now.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Disobedience to the commandment to follow the Jesus of the Bible does carry an eternal consequence as I'm sure Fig has found out by now.
    I am sure Fig is fine. May he rest in peace.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    I am sure Fig is fine. May he rest in peace.
    Nope, I encountered him on many forums, and on each he fought against the Church founded by Christ and denied the truths of Scripture. There is no peace for the wicked. He never repented, as far as I know, and if he did not, he has reaped exactly what he has sown - as will you.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Nope, I encountered him on many forums, and on each he fought against the Church founded by Christ and denied the truths of Scripture. There is no peace for the wicked. He never repented, as far as I know, and if he did not, he has reaped exactly what he has sown - as will you.
    As I said before, as you judge, so shall ye be judged. If you read the New Testament, you will see that Christ is very forgiving of a lot of people who did a lot of bad things--but the one place he had no tolerance was for those who thought they had the truth (Pharisees) and went about condemning others.

His words "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity."
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?