Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
As a protestant, I do not believe in purgatory. I do think that it, combined with indulgences makes for one of the best money raising ideas ever thought of though. As our friend, John Tatzel once sung "As soon as a coin in the coffer rings, a soul from purgatory springs."

The problem with appealing to Judaism for evidence of purgatory is that the concept is no where found in any of the Old Testament Scriptures. One of the sources for the doctrine is found in II Maccabees, which is strange because if memory serves me the dead jews they prayed for were idolators, which under Catholic doctrine would be a mortal sin and I don't think people who commit mortal sins go to purgatory.

Jesus rebuked the Pharisees and Sadduecees for adding to the Scriptures with their oral teachings and traditions. He said that they had made the command of God void by the traditions of men. Sadly, I think the same thing has happened with our estranged Catholic bretheren.
I think you might be reading too much into this text. They were basically wearing good luck charm which may be a sin but not mortal. They were never refered to as idoloters.