Thread: To Be or Not to Be a ****sexual

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BrotherBrian

Default Can you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
    To answer your question, I would not call them anything but what you just described. Celibate and Christian. The deeper aspects of our iden***y is more than just our fleshly bodies. Better the person not reflect on "orientation" and focus more on practicing relational aspects and virtues with and toward the Lord.
    Thanks for your thoughts. Can I ask, then what if the person is celibate and Christian and attracted exclusively to members of the opposite gender? Would you be opposed to calling them heterosexual? If not, then why do you oppose calling someone who is celibate and Christian and yet attracted exclusively to members of the same gender ****sexual? It seems to be a disconnect in the Church that somehow even identifying oneself as ****sexual is just as grave an error as someone engaged in ****sexual expressions. Yet we don't see that dicotomy when it comes to one who is heterosexual, even those who engage in heterosexual expressions.

It seems to be a double standard. In other words, the Church seems to treat all sin equally, but to even identify as a sinner in need of grace is only permissable when that person is heterosexual, because to be ****sexual and Christian is viewed as doctrinally impossible, even though the church recognizes there are indeed people in the world who do identify exclusively as ****sexual, not in an effort to identify with a sinful behavior, but to be honest about the nature of their particular nature.

It seems that the Church would rather ****sexuals be dishonest with members of the ***embly and say they are heterosexual or celibate, and actually inadvertently teach it is better to lie, which is as grievous a sin as any. One of the 10 Commandments is thou shall not lie, but there are no commandments saying, thou shall not be ****sexual, and if you are then thou shall lie about it.

What's a gay Christian to do when approaching the church for guidance in this manner? Yes, I am gay, and yes I am Christian, and yes I am celibate.

Not trying to set you up with a trick question here, just really confused as to how a gay person is to navigate Christianity if we cannot even be honest about who we are. Thanks in advance for your time.

Columcille

Brother Brian, it should be enough to state one's gender and leave it at that. Genesis 1.27c "Male and female he created them." I find it rather annoying to have to tell people I am white, male, or something rather obvious. There is really no need for people to parade around saying I am a heterosexual or a ****sexual. It serves no purpose except to agitate, or even more annoying still as a means of a frank pick-up line. Anyone have to say "I am a heterosexual" in a normal conversation, I find it a little awkward.

BrotherBrian

Default Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherBrian View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. Can I ask, then what if the person is celibate and Christian and attracted exclusively to members of the opposite gender? Would you be opposed to calling them heterosexual? If not, then why do you oppose calling someone who is celibate and Christian and yet attracted exclusively to members of the same gender ****sexual? It seems to be a disconnect in the Church that somehow even identifying oneself as ****sexual is just as grave an error as someone engaged in ****sexual expressions. Yet we don't see that dicotomy when it comes to one who is heterosexual, even those who engage in heterosexual expressions.

It seems to be a double standard. In other words, the Church seems to treat all sin equally, but to even identify as a sinner in need of grace is only permissable when that person is heterosexual, because to be ****sexual and Christian is viewed as doctrinally impossible, even though the church recognizes there are indeed people in the world who do identify exclusively as ****sexual, not in an effort to identify with a sinful behavior, but to be honest about the nature of their particular nature.

It seems that the Church would rather ****sexuals be dishonest with members of the ***embly and say they are heterosexual or celibate, and actually inadvertently teach it is better to lie, which is as grievous a sin as any. One of the 10 Commandments is thou shall not lie, but there are no commandments saying, thou shall not be ****sexual, and if you are then thou shall lie about it.

What's a gay Christian to do when approaching the church for guidance in this manner? Yes, I am gay, and yes I am Christian, and yes I am celibate.

Not trying to set you up with a trick question here, just really confused as to how a gay person is to navigate Christianity if we cannot even be honest about who we are. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
    Brother Brian, it should be enough to state one's gender and leave it at that. Genesis 1.27c "Male and female he created them." I find it rather annoying to have to tell people I am white, male, or something rather obvious. There is really no need for people to parade around saying I am a heterosexual or a ****sexual. It serves no purpose except to agitate, or even more annoying still as a means of a frank pick-up line. Anyone have to say "I am a heterosexual" in a normal conversation, I find it a little awkward.
    Thanks for the response....I find your explanation did not actually answer my questions though.