Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
I am not saying that they do not sacrifice or even contribute to our society. I am only saying that their contribution is eternally meaningless.

As far as Pascal's Wager, if you can pick up the "Pensees" by Penguin Cl***ics, its entry is numbered 418. Section 2, Series 2. Page 121-125. Translated by A.J. Krailsheimer. My edition was printed in 1995.

You can find it online in another translation http://www.cl***icallibrary.org/pasc.../pensees03.htm
under #233.

Now, if you can apply it to other religions, that is fine and dandy. However, the stakes are highest in Pascal, for an eternity of Hell is a lot more riskier than say a reincarnation. I cannot really imagine any other supers***ion that would supercede the idea of Hell. As a matter of practibility, I would rather accept the God of Pascal to prevent an eternity of Hell over rejecting Buddha or other religions whose ideas of the afterlife are of a lesser punishment and of which lacks decernment on just how Karma or final justice is obtained. If there is a worse punishment explained by another religion, I would like to hear about it.
Now you're being silly. The contributions of any man to society is eternally meaningless for the christian.

Your explanation of Pascal's wager encourages god-shopping. You argue that I should pick your god because the myth includes the threat of hell-fire.