Quote Originally Posted by tealblue View Post
I see alot of debate even amongs evangelicals about how we are saved. Is it by grace OR works. Its obvious that scripture talks about salvation in terms of grace and faith. But what about works? Does scripture aver talk about salvation in terms of works?

"‘Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven’" (Matt. 7:21).

"‘Why do you call me "Lord, Lord," and not do what I tell you?’" (Luke 6:46).

"For he will render every man according to his works . . ." (Rom. 2:6-8).

"For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified" (Rom. 2:13).

"For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgments . . . (Heb. 10:26-27).

"What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him?" (Jas. 2:14).

"So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead" (Jas. 2:17).

"But some one will say, ‘You have faith and I have works.’ Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. . . .Do you want to be shown, you foolish fellow, that faith apart from works is barren? (Jas. 2:18-20).

"You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone" (Jas. 2:24).

It seems to be ok to say we are saved by faith and grace why is it not ok to say we are save by Faith, Grace and Works.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 2:8 to 10 is the total explanation of the salvation, faith and works relationship.

Grace is an at***ude that God has towards mankind. Salvation is totally and without exception, a work of grace, by God alone. God is never obligated to save anyone. If God became obligated then being saved by grace would be a false statement. Mankind cannot do anything that would cause God to be obligated to save him or her. The only reason God saves us is because he wants to save us.

Grace (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grace)

a: unmerited divine ***istance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b: a virtue coming from God
c: a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace

A practical example of grace is when banks would give 3 days grace to the client who had a loan or a mortgage. When the payment date came and the payment was not made the client had 3 days to make the payment without any extra fees or interest added to the principal. Those 3 days were a period of grace that the bank was not obligated to give a person but it was a free period where the client could make payment before the bank charged extra money. This is just an example of grace as we understand it. God’s grace operates the same way but there is no restriction on the time in this present era.

Faith (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith)

a (1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof
(2): complete trust

It is through faith that God saves us by his grace. Acts 16:30 directly asks the question,” What must I do to be saved?” and Acts 16:31directly answers, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved”. This is all that a human being can do in order to be saved. Having faith and believing still does not obligate God to save anyone. The reason God saves us is that he wants to do it and he chose to save those that believe in Jesus. (See John 3:16)

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Ephesians 2:10 states that we were “created in Christ Jesus unto good works”. Being saved we are placed into Christ and being “in Christ” we will do the works that God has desired us to do. Works are never done to gain salvation but works are a natural result of salvation by the grace of God.