Thread: 10 facts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    I am asking you what you think? Do you agree with what was chosen to stay in and what was taken out? Do you agree that you should not use all the books found in the Catholic Bible for instance?

Do you agree with the removal of this?

Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom (of Solomon), Sirach, and Baruch. Parts of Psalm 151 (from Psalms), parts of the Book of Esther, Susanna (from Daniel as chapter 13), and Bel and the Dragon (from Daniel as chapter 14).
    Where these books taken out of the Catholic Bible or did the Catholics put them into the Bible?

What did Jerome have to say about these books?

RealFakeHair

[QUOTE=Billyray;155697]Where these books taken out of the Catholic Bible or did the Catholics put them into the Bible?

What did Jerome have to say about these books?[/QUOTE

Yes, Billyray, Jerome is the key. Even the Liberal BBC had to admit the KJB, and St Jerome were closely linked. The 66 Books of the Holy Bible and St Jerome connection is what holds the key.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post

Yes, Billyray, Jerome is the key. Even the Liberal BBC had to admit the KJB, and St Jerome were closely linked. The 66 Books of the Holy Bible and St Jerome connection is what holds the key.
    If BigJ knew what she was talking about she would know that the Catholic Church added these books as canon NOT that the Protestants removed these books. Jerome who translated the Latin Vulgate made notes that these books were not considered canonical books.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    If BigJ knew what she was talking about she would know that the Catholic Church added these books as canon NOT that the Protestants removed these books. Jerome who translated the Latin Vulgate made notes that these books were not considered canonical books.
    And here we go into deciding who was right and who was wrong? This was about the same time as the Nicene creed, right? If St. Jerome was wrong during that time period, then why should you criticize my rejection of other's inputs during that time period and of the same ins***ution?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

And here we go into deciding who was right and who was wrong? This was about the same time as the Nicene creed, right? If St. Jerome was wrong during that time period, then why should you criticize my rejection of other's inputs during that time period and of the same ins***ution?
    1. That the Catholic Church canonized these books as inspired text
    2. The Protestants removed inspired text

BigJ which position would you say is most accurate?

Billyray

I am asking you what you think? Do you agree with what was chosen to stay in and what was taken out? Do you agree that you should not use all the books found in the Catholic Bible for instance?

Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom (of Solomon), Sirach, and Baruch. Parts of Psalm 151 (from Psalms), parts of the Book of Esther, Susanna (from Daniel as chapter 13), and Bel and the Dragon (from Daniel as chapter 14).
    Where these books taken out of the Catholic Bible or did the Catholics put them into the Bible?

What did Jerome have to say about these books?
    1. That the Catholic Church canonized these books as inspired text
    2. The Protestants removed inspired text

BigJ which position would you say is most accurate?
    BigJ you have made a claim that the Protestants REMOVED inspired scripture from the Bible. Yet you have not substantiated this false claim. The Catholic church canonized these writings as inspired scripture that many prior to that time said were were not inspired scripture. That is why I asked you about Jerome who didn't think that the Apocrypha was inspired. Along with the fact that the Jewish Bible doesn't contain the Apocrypha so they obviously do not consider it inspired scripture. So why don't you prove that the Protestants "REMOVED" inspired scripture from the Bible.

Billyray

A brief running summary of this discussion
    --let alone which books should and were included and which were removed. . .
    What books should be in the Bible that currently are not in the Bible?

BigJ you have made a claim that the Protestants REMOVED inspired scripture from the Bible.
    Show me once where I ever said this. You are putting words in my mouth to try to make a point.

Yet you have not substantiated this false claim.
    Maybe because I never made it. I only stated that books were removed from the Bible---I made no mention of whether or not they were inspired.

The Catholic church canonized these writings as inspired scripture that many prior to that time said were were not inspired scripture. That is why I asked you about Jerome who didn't think that the Apocrypha was inspired. Along with the fact that the Jewish Bible doesn't contain the Apocrypha so they obviously do not consider it inspired scripture. So why don't you prove that the Protestants "REMOVED" inspired scripture from the Bible.
    And yet, Jerome left them in---correct? These books were not removed until years after Jerome.

So, who removed the books and why? Who had the right to say whether or not they were inspired? You can take issue with my word "removed"---but obviously, someone felt the need to put them there (as every book in the Bible, someone felt a need to include at one point or another)---and someone decided to take them out (which the word removed would be appropriate.)
    Last edited by BigJulie; 04-30-2014 at 07:42 AM.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

And yet, Jerome left them in---correct? These books were not removed until years after Jerome.
    But you should know by know--after all of this discussion--that Jerome did NOT consider them inspired scripture.

But you should know by know--after all of this discussion--that Jerome did NOT consider them inspired scripture.
    But Augustine did and they were left in. Your point?

Billyray

If St. Jerome was wrong during that time period, then why should you criticize my rejection of other's inputs during that time period and of the same ins***ution?
    Who said that Jerome was wrong with what he wrote in his notes?

Who said that Jerome was wrong with what he wrote in his notes?
    That is the question, isn't it. Who has the authority to say he was wrong or say he was right? Here is a little bit from Wiki--not the best source, but a source:
    He completed this work by 405. Prior to Jerome's Vulgate, all Latin translations of the Old Testament were based on the Septuagint not the Hebrew. Jerome's decision to use a Hebrew text instead of the previous translated Septuagint went against the advice of most other Christians, including Augustine, who thought the Septuagint inspired. Modern scholarship, however, has cast doubts on the actual quality of Jerome's Hebrew knowledge. Many modern scholars believe that the Greek Hexapla is the main source for Jerome's "iuxta Hebraeos" translation of the Old Testament.]
    But, do I bump you for not addressing:
    This was about the same time as the Nicene creed, right? If St. Jerome was wrong during that time period, then why should you criticize my rejection of other's inputs during that time period and of the same ins***ution?