Thread: Christian-Muslim Relations. CCC 841;LG 16; NA3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Leslie

I just found this, and it's kinda disturbing.

http://www.romancatholicism.org/universal-salvation.htm

Universal salvation?

Does the Roman Catholic Church teach that EVERYONE is going to heaven?

Isn't that, you know, heresy?

Columcille

Default Not a Catholic site.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    I just found this, and it's kinda disturbing.

http://www.romancatholicism.org/universal-salvation.htm

Universal salvation?

Does the Roman Catholic Church teach that EVERYONE is going to heaven?

Isn't that, you know, heresy?
    First of all, no such Catholic site is going to put forward itself as a "Roman Catholic," much less state Catholicism as "Roman Catholicism." I cannot even get any text or pictures when I try to get the homepage of this site. Who is it run by? etc.. You must notice on the website it mentioning Origen; I think this the most easiest to re****. It shows the inconsistency of the website in putting forth authoritative Catholic teaching.

As far as quoting Origen is concerned. Here is a definition from the OED:

Origenist:
    A disciple or follower of the famous Greek Christian Father Origen of Alexandria (c185–253), or a holder of some one of the special doctrines attributed to Origen, among which were a threefold sense (literal, moral, and mystical) in Scripture, the pre-existence of souls, and the probable ultimate salvation of all men and of the fallen angels.

There are numerous quotes condemning Origenism in the OED. I think many of the p***ages should lay out some interesting aspects. But the Catholic Church has rejected such beliefs should be beyond doubt. There is salvation, prior to the knowledge of Christ, before Christ came into the world and also applied to prior to coming into the knowledge of the Gospel. Hence, if you preach the Gospel to an infant born of a pagan family, their capacity would not register a knowledge of the Gospel for there to be a choice... hence the infant of such parents as he grows and does not encounter the Gospel still falls under the salvation plan as perceived by natural means supported by Romans 1.

1858 R. A. Vaughan Ess. & Rem. I. 43 Many of the Origenists held opinions which the departed Origen would never have sanctioned.

1727–41 Chambers Cycl., Origenians,+a sect of ancient heretics, who even surp***ed the abominations of the Gnostics. St. Epiphanius speaks of them as still subsisting in his time.+ They rejected marriage.

1903 W. Bright Age of Fathers II. xxix. 54 Anastasius+condemned Origenism in a Roman synod.

1966 H. Chadwick Early Christian Thought & Cl***ical Tradition iv. 120 In judging the system of Origen as a whole it is important to remember that some of the most characteristic features of ‘Origenism’ are not his personal invention.