Thread: The Lost and the Naive

Default The Lost and the Naive

Most misled and misinformed Mormons do not understand the depravity of Joseph Smith. Like the poster here, they scoff at the accounts of Joseph Smith's pedophile behavior, his wanton acts of adultery, and blame someone else for making the stuff up. This is an hallucination on the part of the Mormons, self-induced since the Mormons want to believe that Smith was the finest man who ever lived and that his blood was shed to restore that which Jesus' lost - the New Covenant. One must have to be totally lost and in darkness, or completely gullible and credulous to not understand that Joseph Smith, like Koresh and Jones, used his authority over his flock for three things: power, sex and money. Let's hone in on the sex, since Smith is most noted by Christians who deal with Mormonism for his sexual misconduct. Take the case of the orphaned Lucy Walker - and this is history, folks, not some "tall tale" as a Mormon here claims:

"Lucy Walker's mother had died and left 10 children, Lucy Walker being one of them. (One of the 10 children also died). So what did Joseph Smith do? He promptly sent this father of 9 on a mission to the East Coast, and split up the 9 children...conveniently arranging for 16 yo Lucy Walker to come to his house.

Smith waited til Lucy Walker's brother accompanied Emma Smith on a trip to St. Louis, and approached her:

'Joseph now approached young Lucy Walker, who would become his twenty-second plural wife. Todd Compton relates: Lucy was another young wife of Smith—he proposed to her when she was fifteen or sixteen. In her story we find the familiar pattern of the teenage girl living in the Mormon leader's house, whom Joseph then approaches and marries.5858 Compton, In Sacred Loneliness, p. 458.

The Walker family had converted to Mormonism several years before moving to Nauvoo. In the summer of 1841 the mother, Lydia, contracted malaria due to the swampy conditions in Nauvoo and finally died on January 18, 1842. Lucy recalled, "When at length we were forced to believe she would not speak to us again we were in the depths of despair. Ten motherless children!"5959 Ibid., p. 461. Joseph soon came up with a solution. The father was sent on a mission to the east, the younger children were sent to other families and at least two of the older siblings, Lorin and Lucy, were taken in by the Smith's. Shortly after this division of the family one of the younger children died.

In the midst of all this sorrow and loneliness, Joseph approached sixteen-year-old Lucy Walker in late 1842 about plural marriage. Todd Compton outlines Lucy's resistance: When Smith sensed resistance, as has been seen, he generally continued teaching—asking the prospective wife to pray about the principle, . . . So it happened here. "He said, 'If you will pray sincerely for light and understanding in relation thereto, you Shall receive a testimony of the correctness of this principle.' " Lucy was horrified by polygamy and by his proposal and did not quickly gain the promised testimony. She prayed, she wrote, but not with faith. She was nearly suicidal: "tempted and tortured beyond endureance until life was not desirable. Oh that the grave would kindly receive me that I might find rest on the bosom of my dear mother." Lucy now felt intensely the absence of her parents: "Why—Why Should I be chosen from among thy daughters, Father, I am only a child in years and experience. No mother to council; no father near to tell me what to do, in this trying hour. Oh let this bitter cup p***. And thus I prayed in the agony of my soul."6060 Compton, In Sacred Loneliness, p. 464. Then in the spring of 1843, while Lucy's brother and Emma were in St. Louis, Joseph pressed the issue again.61 61 Newell and Avery, Mormon Enigma, p. 132; Smith, Nauvoo Polygamy, p. 193. 62 Compton, In Sacred Loneliness, p. 465.' "

Lucy took the matter to God in prayer and finally felt she had received divine approval. Todd Compton relates: On May 1 [1843] Lucy, who had turned seventeen the day before, married Smith at his home, with William Clayton officiating and Eliza Partridge standing witness.62
    (source: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../2760401/posts)

Now think about how the evil Smith took the only parent of orphaned children, sent him away on a "mission," and then pounced on his daughter, Lucy, while Emma (Smith's wife) and her brother were in St. Louis. Does it get any worse than that? Smith had to have been demonized to perpetrate such an act!
    Last edited by Apologette; 03-19-2016 at 05:19 PM.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Most misled and misinformed Mormons do not understand the depravity of Joseph Smith. Like the poster here, they scoff at the accounts of Joseph Smith's pedophile behavior, his wanton acts of adultery, and blame someone else for making the stuff up. This is an hallucination on the part of the Mormons, self-induced since the Mormons want to believe that Smith was the finest man who ever lived and that his blood was shed to restore that which Jesus' lost - the New Covenant. One must have to be totally lost and in darkness, or completely gullible and credulous to not understand that Joseph Smith, like Koresh and Jones, used his authority over his flock for three things: power, sex and money. Let's hone in on the sex, since Smith is most noted by Christians who deal with Mormonism for his sexual misconduct. Take the case of the orphaned Lucy Walker - and this is history, folks, not some "tall tale" as a Mormon here claims:

"Lucy Walker's mother had died and left 10 children, Lucy Walker being one of them. (One of the 10 children also died). So what did Joseph Smith do? He promptly sent this father of 9 on a mission to the East Coast, and split up the 9 children...conveniently arranging for 16 yo Lucy Walker to come to his house.

Smith waited til Lucy Walker's brother accompanied Emma Smith on a trip to St. Louis, and approached her:

'Joseph now approached young Lucy Walker, who would become his twenty-second plural wife. Todd Compton relates: Lucy was another young wife of Smith—he proposed to her when she was fifteen or sixteen. In her story we find the familiar pattern of the teenage girl living in the Mormon leader's house, whom Joseph then approaches and marries.5858 Compton, In Sacred Loneliness, p. 458.

The Walker family had converted to Mormonism several years before moving to Nauvoo. In the summer of 1841 the mother, Lydia, contracted malaria due to the swampy conditions in Nauvoo and finally died on January 18, 1842. Lucy recalled, "When at length we were forced to believe she would not speak to us again we were in the depths of despair. Ten motherless children!"5959 Ibid., p. 461. Joseph soon came up with a solution. The father was sent on a mission to the east, the younger children were sent to other families and at least two of the older siblings, Lorin and Lucy, were taken in by the Smith's. Shortly after this division of the family one of the younger children died.

In the midst of all this sorrow and loneliness, Joseph approached sixteen-year-old Lucy Walker in late 1842 about plural marriage. Todd Compton outlines Lucy's resistance: When Smith sensed resistance, as has been seen, he generally continued teaching—asking the prospective wife to pray about the principle, . . . So it happened here. "He said, 'If you will pray sincerely for light and understanding in relation thereto, you Shall receive a testimony of the correctness of this principle.' " Lucy was horrified by polygamy and by his proposal and did not quickly gain the promised testimony. She prayed, she wrote, but not with faith. She was nearly suicidal: "tempted and tortured beyond endureance until life was not desirable. Oh that the grave would kindly receive me that I might find rest on the bosom of my dear mother." Lucy now felt intensely the absence of her parents: "Why—Why Should I be chosen from among thy daughters, Father, I am only a child in years and experience. No mother to council; no father near to tell me what to do, in this trying hour. Oh let this bitter cup p***. And thus I prayed in the agony of my soul."6060 Compton, In Sacred Loneliness, p. 464. Then in the spring of 1843, while Lucy's brother and Emma were in St. Louis, Joseph pressed the issue again.61 61 Newell and Avery, Mormon Enigma, p. 132; Smith, Nauvoo Polygamy, p. 193. 62 Compton, In Sacred Loneliness, p. 465.' "

Lucy took the matter to God in prayer and finally felt she had received divine approval. Todd Compton relates: On May 1 [1843] Lucy, who had turned seventeen the day before, married Smith at his home, with William Clayton officiating and Eliza Partridge standing witness.62
    (source: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../2760401/posts)

Now think about how the evil Smith took the only parent of orphaned children, sent him away on a "mission," and then pounced on his daughter, Lucy, while Emma (Smith's wife) and her brother were in St. Louis. Does it get any worse than that? Smith had to have been demonized to perpetrate such an act!
    Can anybody follow Smith and not partake of his evil sins after they've been told what he did?
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."