Quote Originally Posted by seebok View Post
the ole "stinking bag o' maggots" advised the practice. I'm not so sure he himself could have gotten any additional give his self description

Thus spake Martin Luther of himself, in his Sincere Admonition to all Christians to Guard Against Insurrection and Rebellion (1522), in Luther's Works (English Translation), volume 45. 70.

s.
So you are blaming Mormon polygamy on Martin Luther who you admit did not have a bevy of wives like Smith, suggesting that the reason why he was not a polygamist was because he considered himself to be an old stinking bag of maggots? Amazing self-deprecation, if what you claim is true.

Anything to take the focus off Joseph Smith, right?

I'll have to admit that one does not find Joseph Smith referring to himself using self-deprecation of any type, because he considered himself to be a god and greater than everyone, including Jesus!

"God made Aaron to be the mouthpiece for the children of Israel, and He will make me be god to you in His stead, and the Elders to be mouth for me; and if you don't like it you must lump it." Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Fielding, p. 363

I am a lawyer; I am a big lawyer and comprehend heaven, earth and hell, to bring forth knowledge that shall cover up all lawyers, doctors and other big bodies." History of the Church, Vol. 5, p. 289

"Don't employ lawyers, or pay them money for their knowledge, for I have learned that they don't know anything. I know more than they all." History of the Church, Vol. 5, p. 467

"I combat the errors of the ages; I meet the violence of mobs; I cope with illegal proceedings from executive authority; I cut the gordian knot of powers, and I solve mathematical problems of universities, with truth-diamond truth; and God is my right hand man." History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 78

But no opinion of himself could beat the citation for which Smith is most famous:

"If they want a beardless boy to whip all the world, I will get on the top of a mountain and crow like a rooster: I shall always beat them....I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, not JESUS ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of JESUS ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet." History of the Church, Vol. 6, pg. 408-409.