Thread: Need help responding to a friend.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kentuckypreacher

Quote Originally Posted by ActRaiser View Post
    Every early christian writer related born agian to water baptism. Not one described born agian as modern protetsant do. This idea is only a few hundred years old if that.

Water baptism being related to being saved is true. What isn't true is that Salvation IS water baptism.

If you fail to be baptised because of ignorance, somewhere in the Bible it mentions that Jesus was baptised for the sake of those who could not be baptised. Now... Also, God smiles in the times of Ignorance(Old Testament)

Me, for example, I have personal reasons why I am afraid to get baptised. If it is a sin not to get baptised, either I'll lose something important such as a reward in Heaven or I'll be overlooked, according to what I have read.
    I've been Saved for so long, I had years p*** me by without knowing Baptism was essential.

While I agree Baptism is essential for the Christian walk, the Christian walk is not salvation. Judas could cast out devils and perform miracles, but he was exceptionaly ****ed. He was undoubtedly blessed by the Holy Spirit. That's probably why he was in such trouble with God; because he had been given so much, but he didn't give ANYTHING to Jesus Christ.
    Where does the Bible say anything about Jesus being baptized for those "who could not be"?

The Bible plainly teaches baptism is immersion in water for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38; 8:36-38). One cannot separate baptism from salvation (Mark 16:16). It is at that point one becomes a child of God by faith (Galatians 3:26-27).

Please read and consider these Scriptures, and let us talk more.

ActRaiser

This Bible says that he who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. The verse in Mark you referenced seems to refer only to the fact that you are condemned if you do not believe. Do what Walter Martin does and refer to the verse before 16:16. 16:15 refers to the Gospel, not getting wet.

As to where it says that Jesus was baptized for those who can't be. . . I 'm not so sure. Except for the verse in the Bible where it points out the thief on the Cross got to go to Heaven despite not really being in any position to be baptized.

johnd

Belief is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Eternal ****ation is the baptism of fire for unbelief.

John 3:16-18
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Matthew 3:111
    1 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: BUT he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

johnd

Quote Originally Posted by ActRaiser View Post
    This Bible says that he who believes (and therefore is baptized) will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. The verse in Mark you referenced seems to refer only to the fact that you are condemned if you do not believe. Do what Walter Martin does and refer to the verse before 16:16. 16:15 refers to the Gospel, not getting wet.

As to where it says that Jesus was baptized for those who can't be. . . I 'm not so sure. Except for the verse in the Bible where it points out the thief on the Cross got to go to Heaven despite not really being in any position to be baptized.
    Makes more sense in light of all of scripture...

alanmolstad

There are some people who just are not interested in being baptized...

I believe we should not get in their face about this question, but allow god to lead them...