Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
So do you believe in the old baptist saying "once saved, always saved"?

Does that mean that I could go out and sin, not repent over them, get hit by a car and then die and go to heaven?
Hi Leslie,
I think when people hear the phrase "once saved, always saved", especially people who are in religious systems that tend to lean towards legalisim, they
get the idea that some Christians believe that once they are born again they can sin anytime they want with no consequences. Of course that is not true. The idea of being always saved in my point of view comes from the truth of the scriptures. Jesus died for all my sin, past, present and future. When I accept the truth of the Gospel, admit my sin, turn from it and trust Him as Savior I am saved and indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Now the problem is what if I sin? Does the indwelling Holy Spirit leave each time I sin? No I have a Mediator who interceedes for me, when I confess my sin He is faithful and just to forgive my sin and cleanse me of all unrightousness. Faithful and just means to me that if I sin and then get hit with a car before I confess, yes I will go to heaven. God looks at a man's heart, his intent and what he places his trust in, not a specific formula. Of course when we sin we are to admit it and repent but that is not what saves us it is grace that saves and keeps one saved.