Thread: Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Columcille

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    As a person that leans to the more protestant point of view I don't understand where this "rule" about my only needing a once a month self-reflection is written down at?

"Self-reflection" seems to be a term used to talk about a very personal moment...

Are you talking about an organized time of self-reflection during a church service?

Is it your understanding that guys like me only have private moments of self-reflection when its a listed part of a church service, and comes before one thing on the list and after another?...LOL
    The self reflection is tied to 1 Corinthians 11.27-29:
    "Whomever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be answerable for the body and blood of the Lord. Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For all who eat and drink without discerning the body, eat and drink judgment against themselves."

alanmolstad

Once again, the idea that in Protestant churches only hold a moment of self-reflection once a month is something I question.

It seems to me that even if the Protestant church service is not dealing that week with a holy meal, that there always is a point during the service for confession of sins and forgiveness.

I have yet to hear of a church weekly service that had zero opportunities to confess our sins?

alanmolstad

self reflection is a very private matter...

while a church may allow a time during the service to have people do self reflection, there is nothing the church can or should do to demand a person do this very private matter.

The idea that a church is the only place where such self reflection is promoted in the bible is a joke.

The best place in my mind for good self reflection is when you are totally and completely "ALONE!"

Then a person has a chance to hear that still, small voice.

Now as for this topic and my view of the eastern orthodox church?.....
    My answer is that I dont know too much about that church denomination, however based only on the effects of being a member of that church on some of the posters here, I would suggest not attending for fear of turning into a mean person.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-26-2014 at 12:50 PM.