Thread: A modest proposal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    asdf

Quote Originally Posted by awediot View Post
    Makes a murderer of you.
    What if in doing so you **** yourself, but "save" hundreds, thousands, millions of others? Choose hell out of your own morality, selflessly, for the sake of others...

Is that not a moral option?

Moses seemed to think so:
    But now, please forgive their sin—but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written.
    -Ex 32.32
    Paul seemed to think so:
    For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race
    -Ro 9.3

awediot

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    What if in doing so you **** yourself, but "save" hundreds, thousands, millions of others? Choose hell out of your own morality, selflessly, for the sake of others...

Is that not a moral option?

Moses seemed to think so:
    But now, please forgive their sin—but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written.
    -Ex 32.32
    Paul seemed to think so:
    For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race
    -Ro 9.3
    It's a logical speculation, but we don't know that we'd save any (I don't even know if God uses a soul on what He knows will be aborted) _ No one gets an abortion with the idea it will save their baby's soul... We can't speculate on what the not even born's life will eternally end as. It's just a rationale...

And, yes, it is noble to think we could offer our soul for the sake of another...but it doesn't really work that way... God's not a game show host.

asdf

It's a logical speculation, but we don't know that we'd save any (I don't even know if God uses a soul on what He knows will be aborted) _ No one gets an abortion with the idea it will save their baby's soul... We can't speculate on what the not even born's life will eternally end as. It's just a rationale...

And, yes, it is noble to think we could offer our soul for the sake of another...but it doesn't really work that way... God's not a game show host.
    I'm with you on all that...just exploring what others may think, who hold a little bit tighter to their "knowledge" of what God will and will not do with human "souls".

awediot

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    I'm with you on all that...just exploring what others may think, who hold a little bit tighter to their "knowledge" of what God will and will not do with human "souls".
    Sensed some "devil's advocate" undertone there ...

But it is a "logical" argument... Guess it's also a good argument against the worship of Logic as well...

CleoSquare

There are mothers suffering from severe post natal psychosis that 'believe' they are saving thier babies by killing them.... Many of these mothers love their babies dearly, in fact this is why in their delusional state they do what they do... sometimes believeng they condemn themselves to hell in the doing.

I think what ASDF proposes is the logical conclusion to the sort of rigid belief that underpins a lot of these discussions...