Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biblical and historical reasons why Mitt Romney is not a Christian

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    The LDS smears other faiths in a very subtle manner, they make lots of money, and they hide where that money goes. It seems hypocritical to bring this up don't you think?
    When I go to church, I never hear the teacher smear another person's faith. What is your "subtle smear" you speak of? Is it our faith that we have the true and living church? Is that a smear to you? Then every faith or even every evangelical (as we have seen on this site) who does not agree with how you see things is "subtling" smearing your faith.

And I see exactly where the money goes in my church--temples, church buildings, our ward budgets, welfare systems, measle's vaccines for third world country, clean water projects, etc. Are you aware that the number one budget of the church goes to buliding and maintaining temples and ward houses and the second largest budget is to that of education. For every student that goes to a BYU school, they get a huge scholarship every semester to the tune of about $8000. I see where the money goes. Please, don't try to slander my church further as an excuse for what you do here.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

neverending

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    When I go to church, I never hear the teacher smear another person's faith. What is your "subtle smear" you speak of? Is it our faith that we have the true and living church? Is that a smear to you? Then every faith or even every evangelical (as we have seen on this site) who does not agree with how you see things is "subtling" smearing your faith.

And I see exactly where the money goes in my church--temples, church buildings, our ward budgets, welfare systems, measle's vaccines for third world country, clean water projects, etc. Are you aware that the number one budget of the church goes to buliding and maintaining temples and ward houses and the second largest budget is to that of education. For every student that goes to a BYU school, they get a huge scholarship every semester to the tune of about $8000. I see where the money goes. Please, don't try to slander my church further as an excuse for what you do here.

BJ:
    Do you not find it strange that the #1 budget item is spending money on building temples that do nothing for anyone? It is for doing work for dead people and how does that help? No one is given a second chance. Where does it speak of doing temple work for the dead in the Bible? NO WHERE! And there was only ONE Temple, the one in Jerusalem. Mormonism has taken it upon itself to spend millions of millions of dollars, given by it's members to build hollow temples. Luke 9:59-60, "He said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father. But Jesus told him, Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God." So, what good does it do to do baptisms for the dead or do temple work for the dead when there are no second chances? Either one accepts Jesus Christ in this life or not. Now is the day of salvation. 2 Cor. 6:2, "For he says, I have heard you in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I helped you: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. " Do you see what I told you, no second chances Julie.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    When I go to church, I never hear the teacher smear another person's faith. What is your "subtle smear" you speak of?
    1. Do you believe that I belong to the church of the devil?

2. Do you recall from the temple ceremony where lucifer asks the minister to convert people and he will pay them well? (this was edited out in the newest temple version)

1. Do you believe that I belong to the church of the devil?

2. Do you recall from the temple ceremony where lucifer asks the minister to convert people and he will pay them well? (this was edited out in the newest temple version)
    Interesting point, Billyray. Can you provide a citation pointing to the historical fact that in a Mormon temple ceremony, "lucifer asks the minister to convert people and he will pay them well?"
    How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. 1 John 3:1

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    Interesting point, Billyray. Can you provide a citation pointing to the historical fact that in a Mormon temple ceremony, "lucifer asks the minister to convert people and he will pay them well?"
    http://www.lds-mormon.com/compare2.shtml

LUCIFER:: Do you preach the orthodox religion?

SECTARIAN MINISTER: Yes, that is what I preach.

LUCIFER:: If you will preach your orthodox religion to these people, and convert them, I will pay you well.

SECTARIAN MINISTER: I will do my best.

(Note--this section is lined out on the link indicating that it was in the prior ceremony (pre-1990) but has been removed from the current ceremony)

http://www.lds-mormon.com/compare2.shtml

LUCIFER:: Do you preach the orthodox religion?

SECTARIAN MINISTER: Yes, that is what I preach.

LUCIFER:: If you will preach your orthodox religion to these people, and convert them, I will pay you well.

SECTARIAN MINISTER: I will do my best.

(Note--this section is lined out on the link indicating that it was in the prior ceremony (pre-1990) but has been removed from the current ceremony)
    Interesting and I'm not doubting you, since I've read several eyewitness accounts that support this. But what is the historical source the quote is taken from?
    How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. 1 John 3:1

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    IBut what is the historical source the quote is taken from?
    That is a direct quote from the temple ceremony. I don't think you will find it in historical LDS sources because of the secrecy.

Libby

That is a direct quote from the temple ceremony. I don't think you will find it in historical LDS sources because of the secrecy.
    Billy, I suppose you know that hasn't been in the Temple ceremony for years? I would have been in ten years next month and it was long gone, before I converted.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Billy, I suppose you know that hasn't been in the Temple ceremony for years? I would have been in ten years next month and it was long gone, before I converted.
    I gave you the exact date that it was changed which was 1990. It was there when I went through the temple. BTW because it is not there now does this make it OK in your opinion to portray Christian ministers as hired guns for Lucifer?

Libby

I gave you the exact date that it was changed which was 1990. It was there when I went through the temple. BTW because it is not there now does this make it OK in your opinion to portray Christian ministers as hired guns for Lucifer?
    Apologies. I did not see that you had posted the date.

BTW because it is not there now does this make it OK in your opinion to portray Christian ministers as hired guns for Lucifer?
    I suppose it is as "OK" as calling Joseph Smith (and all of the LDS prophets) agents of Satan, and a gazillion other negative names and inferences.

neverending

Apologies. I did not see that you had posted the date.

I suppose it is as "OK" as calling Joseph Smith (and all of the LDS prophets) agents of Satan, and a gazillion other negative names and inferences.

Libby,
    And IF you left the LDS Church, why do you continue to defend it? This is a poor example of a person who has left and I'd like to know whatcaused you to leave Mormonism and where you stand now as far as any religion. We who come to WM do so out of concern for Mormons, knowing that it teaches another gospel and leads people away from God. Just their teaching how they themselves can become a god by following ALL the laws and ordinances of their church is not in anyway Biblical, but how many Mormons are able to follow every law and ordinance? No one can be perfect, for there will be a moment when one will fail and then what?

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by neverending View Post
    Libby,
    And IF you left the LDS Church, why do you continue to defend it? This is a poor example of a person who has left and I'd like to know whatcaused you to leave Mormonism and where you stand now as far as any religion. We who come to WM do so out of concern for Mormons, knowing that it teaches another gospel and leads people away from God. Just their teaching how they themselves can become a god by following ALL the laws and ordinances of their church is not in anyway Biblical, but how many Mormons are able to follow every law and ordinance? No one can be perfect, for there will be a moment when one will fail and then what?
    I'm not really defending the church. I just think the church is sometimes attacked unfairly. Many of the arguments critics use, can very well be used against their own brand of Christianity. I am interested in truth. While it's, possibly, true that past LDS leaders did say some embarr***ing things (hard to know, since we didn't have tape recordings back then), it is not true that those things represent the church, today. Christians of all sects, over the centuries, have believed and practiced a lot of things they no longer practice...probably, the worst of which was the Inquisition. I can't think of anything Joseph Smith did that was worse than that.

I am no longer interested in the LDS Church, as far as being a member (for my own reasons), but I no longer believe LDS are "lost"..not anymore so than the rest of us, and I believe the LDS religion has redeeming value. But, that's not why I jumped into this conversation. I see critics (even ex-Mormons, who should know better) give very inaccurate representations of what the church, today, believes and teaches. One good example is issue of how Jesus was conceived. The LDS Church today considers that a "mystery". And, even for those who believe it was some kind of "pro-creation", they do not believe it was the kind of sex that humans have. I was taught that there is something LIKE pro-creation, in the Celestial Kingdom, but not likely to be what humans experience. Anyway, that's one example of an issue that, I think, gets very badly misrepresented. There are many more.
    Last edited by Libby; 11-11-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Billyray

The LDS Church today considers that a "mystery".
    But that is not what LDS believe in the past as evidenced by many upper level LDS leaders. Why do you think that the leaders got it wrong?

Libby

But that is not what LDS believe in the past as evidenced by many upper level LDS leaders. Why do you think that the leaders got it wrong?
    Because they're human.

Why do you suppose the Pope and many other Christian leaders of that era, were so wrong about torturing and murdering, supposed, heretics (in the name of Jesus Christ). They were the mainstream Christians of their time (the "inspired ones")...how could they have been so wrong?

Billyray

Because they're human.
    They why trust anything that they say?

Libby

They why trust anything that they say?
    I don't, particularly, not unless I can confirm it, myself.

The Bible was also written by fallible humans. Why do you believe everything that is written there?

It's all a matter of faith, Billy. LDS believe Joseph Smith was sent by God. You believe the prophets in the O.T. were sent by God. You can't really prove that, anymore than LDS can prove JS. You can really only "prove it" to yourself, by means of the Spirit or whatever you have faith in.

Billyray

The Bible was also written by fallible humans. Why do you believe everything that is written there?
    Because it is God's words to us.

Libby

Because it is God's words to us.
    How do you know?

Billyray

I don't, particularly, not unless I can confirm it, myself.
    Since LDS have prophets what prophecies have you confirmed?

Libby

Since LDS have prophets what prophecies have you confirmed?
    None. But, I do believe some of the general teachings are correct. One example...I am convinced that our souls are eternal and we did "pre-exist"...not exactly as LDS believe it, but generally speaking, I'd call that a "hit".

neverending

None. But, I do believe some of the general teachings are correct. One example...I am convinced that our souls are eternal and we did "pre-exist"...not exactly as LDS believe it, but generally speaking, I'd call that a "hit".
    Libby,
    There is nothing within the Biblical scriptures that can prove we lived a pre-existant life. How can you believe in such a doctrine?

Billyray

I am convinced that our souls are eternal and we did "pre-exist"...not exactly as LDS believe. . .
    So you have co-existed with God forever and that God did not create you?

Libby

So you have co-existed with God forever and that God did not create you?
    How about you answer my other question first. How do you know that every word in the Bible is from God?

Billyray

How do you know that every word in the Bible is from God?
    Because of the eye witness testimony of the life, death, and resurrection of Christ and through a spiritual witness. However we don't have the original m****cripts but rather we have copies of copies and thus we have variant readings within the NT m****cripts.

Libby

Because of the eye witness testimony of the life, death, and resurrection of Christ and through a spiritual witness. However we don't have the original m****cripts but rather we have copies of copies and thus we have variant readings within the NT m****cripts.
    So, you were convinced, primarily, based on your intellect? Just the facts (as you perceive them)? How do you know that the evidence in that book is reliable? How do you know the information is true? It's all second and third hand information.

Btw, I'm not saying it isn't. Just asking..