Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss it

alanmolstad

salvation is not by faith

salvation is not by works

salvation is not by any combination of faith and works....

so what is salvation by?
    Salvation is by grace alone though faith, not by works.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    salvation is not by faith

salvation is not by works

salvation is not by any combination of faith and works....

so what is salvation by?
    Salvation is by grace alone though faith, not by works.
    That's not what Walter Martin believed....
    He said salvation was by grace alone through faith ALONE...

What exactly that meant is anybodies guess as most of his little sayings contradicted something else he had already said.

Maybe salvation is by anti-Mormonism?

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    that might be true....

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    that might be true....
    What isn't true is a salvation through a faith alone theology:

James 2:24---New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Hi Saxon.

I believe the remission of one's sins is an example of God's salvational grace:

Acts 2:38---King James Version (KJV)
    38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost is an example of God's salvational grace:

Acts 5:32---King James Version (KJV)
    32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

I believe God's salvational grace is God doing something for us we can't do for ourselves--that allows us to enter into His presence after death. The scriptures testify it's those who obey God that receive of that grace:

Hebrews 5:9---King James Version (KJV)
    9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    You should really explain what you believe grace to be because “salvational” grace mean nothing to me.
    But the remission of sins or the Holy Ghost does mean something to you?

Are you saying you don't believe either is ***ociated with salvation--or is an extension of God's grace?

But the remission of sins or the Holy Ghost does mean something to you?

Are you saying you don't believe either is ***ociated with salvation--or is an extension of God's grace?
    The problem is, dberrie, you believe that a pedophile, Joe Smith, brings salvation, and that without him nobody gets to become a god.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Saxon

where does the term, "salvational” grace come From, not the Bible.

where does the term, "salvational” grace come From, not the Bible.
    dberrie, I believe, made that term up. I don't even think the Mormon cult uses it.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Saxon

There is no place in the Bible that there is a type of grace ever mentioned. Some have said "saving" grace but that is not in the Bible either. Now "salvational" grace. People need to find out what the term grace means and then they wouldn't need to add onto grace what isn't add on-able.

alanmolstad

What isn't true is a salvation through a faith alone theology:
    There is a justification by faith and a justification by works

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    The problem is, dberrie, you believe that a pedophile, Joe Smith, brings salvation, and that without him nobody gets to become a god.
    I believe just what the Biblical record states:

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost is an example of God's salvational grace:

32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

I believe God's salvational grace is God doing something for us we can't do for ourselves--that allows us to enter into His presence after death. The scriptures testify it's those who obey God that receive of that grace:

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Why don't you?

dberrie2000

But there is no justification through faith alone:

Why do the faith alone preach a gospel of salvation through a faith that is alone?

dberrie2000

There is no place in the Bible that there is a type of grace ever mentioned.
    Then you don't believe the remission of sins, the Holy Ghost, or eternal salvation-- is God's grace?

alanmolstad

Why do the faith alone preach a gospel of salvation through a faith that is alone?
    there are two types of justification talked about in the bible....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcf1J6AJB9M
    one by faith
    one by works.

so if someone were to tell me that there was only one type of justification in the bible.....(Faith alone or works alone, does not matter), I would say that they were in error.

alanmolstad

so in other words, if someone were to tell me, "Hey there is a justification by faith only" I would correct them and say, "No there is a justification by works as well"

or if someone were to say, "Hey there is only a Justification by works" I would correct them and say, "No there is also a justification by FAITH as well"

dberrie2000

there are two types of justification talked about in the bible....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcf1J6AJB9M
    one by faith
    one by works.

so if someone were to tell me that there was only one type of justification in the bible.....(Faith alone or works alone, does not matter), I would say that they were in error.
    Again--there is no justification found in the Biblical text through a faith alone theology. Those of faith alone theology preach a salvation through faith alone. There is but one mention of "faith alone" (sola fide) found in the Biblical text:

dberrie2000

so in other words, if someone were to tell me, "Hey there is a justification by faith only" I would correct them and say, "No there is a justification by works as well"
    And I would ask you--where does one find justification by "faith alone"?(sola fide)

alanmolstad

See post #191 above

And I would ask you--where does one find justification by "faith alone"?(sola fide)
    “There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?”
    Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.”
    And He said to him, “You have rightly judged.” Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”
    Then He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
    And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”
    Then He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”
    Luke 7:41-50

So what would you say to this woman, be careful Jesus didn’t really mean what He said?
    “Your faith has saved you”; meaning either the object of her faith, himself, who was the author of eternal salvation to her; or that she, through faith in him, had received the blessings of salvation, pardon, righteousness, and life from him. In either case she did nothing to merit that salvation. It is that faith and the leading of the Holy Spirit which will now produce work and obedience.

“We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.”
    1 Thes. 1:3

"For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love." Gal 5:5-6

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    “There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?”
    Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.”
    And He said to him, “You have rightly judged.” Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”
    Then He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
    And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”u
    Then He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”
    Luke 7:41-50

So what would you say to this woman, be careful Jesus didn’t really mean what He said?
    “Your faith has saved you”; meaning either the object of her faith, himself, who was the author of eternal salvation to her; or that she, through faith in him, had received the blessings of salvation, pardon, righteousness, and life from him. In either case she did nothing to merit that salvation. It is that faith and the leading of the Holy Spirit which will now produce work and obedience.

“We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.”
    1 Thes. 1:3

"For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love." Gal 5:5-6
    You completely missed the point of these verses. If you go back and read them you will see that one person's faith involved action, the other person's faith had none, in fact Christ even pointed out that Simon didn't even do the required minimum that would be expected from the faithless to do.
    One person's sins were forgiven... Which one do you guess that was?
    Last edited by theway; 04-22-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theway View Post
    You completely missed the point of these verses. If you go back and read them you will see that one person's faith involved action, the other person's faith had none, in fact Christ even pointed out that Simon didn't even do the required minimum that would be expected from the faithless to do.
    One person's sins were forgiven... Which one do you guess that was?
    What action caused this women to be saved? Would the same action have saved Simon?

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    What action caused this women to be saved? Would the same action have saved Simon?
    Humility, repentance, and the act of seeking Him out.

Note that Christ did not say; "there's this sinful women in another village... Boom! I just forgave her."

However if you were looking for a true parable of how or by what criteria the Lord forgives, read Matt. 18:21-35

Saxon

Then you don't believe the remission of sins, the Holy Ghost, or eternal salvation-- is God's grace?

No, I don’t believe that the remission of sins, the Holy Ghost, or eternal salvation IS God's grace. What I believe is that what you have pointed out as God’s grace are two aspects of eternal salvation, remission of sins and the Holy Ghost. Both are received at the moment God bestows eternal salvation upon a person.

The Bible says that it is by grace that you are saved, (See Ephesians 2:8) it never indicates that the remission of sins, the Holy Ghost, or eternal salvation ARE God's grace.

Give me a detailed post describing exactly what you believe God’s grace to be. I am sure that I will find it most enlightening.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Quote Originally Posted by theway View Post
    Humility, repentance, and the act of seeking Him out.

All based on faith and the belief that Jesus is willing and able to save.