Thread: The "one God" of the Biblical NT

dberrie2000

Default The "one God" of the Biblical NT

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)
    6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)
    4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1 Peter 1:3--King James Version (KJV)
    3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

John 17:3---King James Version (KJV)
    3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

How do the faith alone fit the NT theology into Trinitarian theology?

The LDS believe in the trinity(God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost)--but not in Trinitarian theology. And if the above NT scriptures are true--then neither did the NT writers.

Also--how do the Trinitarians fit the OT theology--with the NT theology?

dberrie2000

The "one God" of the Biblical NT

6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

The LDS believe in the trinity(God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost)--but not in Trinitarian theology. And if the above NT scriptures are true--then neither did the NT writers.

I am surprised no one engaged this point. Anyone?

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    The "one God" of the Biblical NT

I am surprised no one engaged this point. Anyone?
    Surely--someone could engage this?

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post

None of these verses indicate there are two or three different gods; they indicate only that there are different Persons. The whole Bible clearly teaches there is only one God, see Isa. 43:10. You are not Biblically literate enough to understand the difference.
    Last edited by Apologette; 03-30-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    None of these verses indicate there are two or three different gods; they indicate only that there are different Persons. The whole Bible clearly teaches there is only one God, see Isa. 43:10. You are not Biblically illiterate enough to understand the difference.
    You are right, they are one God, but no where does the Bible teach that they are not three different beings. In fact, the NT makes it quite clear that Jesus Christ is subject to God the Father.

Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

There "are" one God? You mean "is," as in singular:? The Bible teaches that there is ONE Being, and that is God, and that He is Tripersonal in nature.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

There "are" one God? You mean "is," as in singular:? The Bible teaches that there is ONE Being, and that is God, and that He is Tripersonal in nature.
    No, as is plural as stated here: Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Baloney, you don't know what you're talking about. Go back to school. There "are" one God. Even a fifth grader knows better than that. Mormons make the stupidest mistakes but never admit it. That's why you are a Mormon.

Baloney, you don't know what you're talking about. Go back to school. There "are" one God. Even a fifth grader knows better than that. Mormons make the stupidest mistakes but never admit it. That's why you are a Mormon.
    Are you going to make fun of Moses for stating "let us make man in "OUR" image?

Here is an example of two people being one: Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

And another of what God means to be "one" with another: Jhn 17:21
    That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    Are you going to make fun of Moses for stating "let us make man in "OUR" image?

Here is an example of two people being one: Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

And another of what God means to be "one" with another: Jhn 17:21
    That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
    You are confusing "are" with "our." God, the noun, is singluar in the sentenece and therefore takes a singular verb. If I were you, I'd not try to argue with somebody who has been published numerous times because she actually can write well. I have found that Mormons really aren't very well educated, probably one reason they are Mormons. I've come across too many Mormons with grave deficits in education to think it's a coincidence.

The p***age in Genesis using "our," (which by the way is not a verb), indicates the tripersonality of God. As a Mormon, you reject that. But there's no excuse for poor English, I don't care what cult you are in.

[QUOTE]
    You are confusing "are" with "our." God, the noun, is singluar in the sentenece and therefore takes a singular verb.
    I am not confusing "are" with "our". I am making the point in that in the scriptures, "God" is used with a plural descriptive. I understand it is not a "verb", but rather it still speaks in plurals.

I understand that you have "tri-personality" theory that you believe in, but as noted, "trinity" is never a way God describes himself in the scriptures.

dberrie2000

None of these verses indicate there are two or three different gods; they indicate only that there are different Persons.
    Just a note, Apologette--the above scriptures not only separates out God the Father from God the Son, as personages--it separates out God the Son from the "one God".

God the Father is listed not only as the "one God"--but as the God and Father of God the Son:

Ephesians 1:17---King James Version (KJV)
    17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

dberrie2000

Originally Posted by Apologette View PostNone of these verses indicate there are two or three different gods; they indicate only that there are different Persons.
    Just a note, Apologette--the above scriptures not only separates out God the Father from God the Son, as personages--it separates out God the Son from the "one God".

God the Father is listed not only as the "one God"--but as the God and Father of God the Son:

Ephesians 1:17---King James Version (KJV)
    17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: