Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biblical Proof that it's impossible for God to have a body?

Here it is again.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    Here it is again.
    Yeap, and here again it was started my a LDS.. IHS jim

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    What if God is just really large, like the monster in "Cloverfield"? Solomon's temple couldn't contain that monster, either, so "temple can't contain" doesn't prove "no body."
    interesting point.....and true enough I guess.

However 1 Kings 8:27 reads a bit differently than just saying a temple cant contain the Lord...

alanmolstad

But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!

God is spirit, and a spirit does not have flesh and bones.

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!

That seems to indicate you do not believe Jesus Christ is God:

Luke 24:39---King James Version (KJV)
    39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    That seems to indicate you do not believe Jesus Christ is God:

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Jesus is both God and MAN!.....

Two totally different natures in the one person.

The divine nature of Christ is and always will be pure spirit.
    And the human nature of Christ has a physical body of flesh and bone.

Understand now?

You are welcome,
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 05-25-2017 at 01:20 AM.

dberrie2000

Understand now?
    I understand you testified God does not have flesh and bones:

Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!

Then--you explain God really does possess a body of flesh and bones, by splitting up the nature of God into two different natures.

So--does God have a body of flesh and bones?

alanmolstad

So--does God have a body of flesh and bones?

once again,,,Jesus has two totally different natures.

Jesus is both God and man.

Both 100% God Almighty, and 100% human.

In his nature as God, Jesus is pure spirit.
    In his nature as man he is flesh and bone.

understand now?

We are not splitting the nature of God....the nature of God remains unchanged and always pure spirit.
    But in the incarnation the Lord Jesus took on to himself the additional nature of man...

Jesus never stopped being God, never stopped being pure spirit .
    But within his 2nd nature of a man Jesus is flesh and bone.

Thats is why we can say that "a spirit has not flesh and bone" and yet jesus had flesh and bone, and at the same time we can say that Jesus is God, and "God is spirit" and a spirit does not have flesh and bone.

2 different natures,,,always in play...
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 05-25-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Are you calling Jesus' Father a criminal?

Are you calling Jesus a criminal? Why can't the expression "Like Father, like Son" be used as a reference to two GOOD people, to say that a Son is very good because He takes after His Father?

Yes I can, because I am familiar with the Bible, so I will help you out:

"God's Son has all the brightness of God's own glory and is like him in every way."

Hebrews 1:3 (Contemporary English Version)

Like Father, like Son.
    I guess English is NOT your primary language? Is YOUR father as ignorant as that sounds?
    NOBODY has called God a criminal and NOBODY has called Jesus Christa Criminal.

AND OF COURSE you have never found that particular idiom in the Bible; it isn't there. . .you have to SPECULATE to make it appear to be there.

Your so-called 'familiarity' with the Bible seems to be SADLY LACKING in the CONTEXT department.

Is THAT w
    hy you chose such a mediocre translation of that PARTIAL P***AGE, COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTEXT?

Heb 1:1-4
    1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. 3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they.
    NASU

Heb 1:3-4
    3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
    ESV

I checked at least a half-dozen OTHER good translations, and THEY ALL disagree with your mediocre translation's rendering.

You must have looked pretty hard to find that poor translation. It doesn't fit the GREEK at all. In the Greek, it is literaly the 'character of his person,' NOT an exact ANYTHING!

Aaah, but then if that is ALL you can come up with. . .

STILL no 'like father, like son pretending that someone OTHER THAN YOURSELF thinks God the Father and Jesus are criminals. . .SUCH IGNORANCE!!!!!!

Default Their demons and their gods are close relatives!

Maybe the whole issue is trivial, if it's just a matter of Trinitarians believing that 1/3 of God has a body, and LDS believing that 2/3 of God have bodies. What's the big deal about a mere fraction?
    Don't the lds believe that Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are 3 DIFFERENT AND DISTINCT gods, only TWO of which have bodies, but ALL THREE OF WHICH are 'true gods' just like THEY CAN BECOME 'if they are good enough to be exalted to godhood'????

Of course, THEIR god is credited with 'begetting' THEIR 'jesus' and THEIR 'satan' as 'spirit brothers. . .'

SAD, isn't it? Their demons and their gods are close relatives!

dberrie2000

once again,,,Jesus has two totally different natures.

Jesus is both God and man. Both 100% God Almighty, and 100% human. In his nature as God, Jesus is pure spirit. In his nature as man he is flesh and bone. understand now?
    I understand there is an obvious contradiction:

Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!

alanmolstad

I understand there is an obvious contradiction:
    This is how he who by his very nature simply can't die was able to give his life to save us.

dberrie2000

This is how he who by his very nature simply can't die was able to give his life to save us.
    Another contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Don't the lds believe that Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are 3 DIFFERENT AND DISTINCT gods
    No. We believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are 3 DIFFERENT AND DISTINCT persons who are one God (not one being with three personalities).

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    Why do you think that no other Christian church that I am aware of except the FLDS believe that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones and was a man on another planet?

FLDS, like the other 150 or so lds religions is NOT a Christian church by ANY rational description. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRIST'S ORIGINAL CHURCH which has existed alive and well for about 2,000 years now.

dberrie2000

FLDS, like the other 150 or so lds religions is NOT a Christian church by ANY rational description. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRIST'S ORIGINAL CHURCH which has existed alive and well for about 2,000 years now.
    If it was alive and well--then why the need for a Reformation--where numerous new denominations were created with a different theology?

And no one has answered the question--does God have a resurrected body of flesh and bones?

alanmolstad

And no one has answered the question--does God have a resurrected body of flesh and bones?

.[/B]

I have written many times on the two natures of Jesus.

but as it's not what you want to hear...

Anyone got some Biblical Proof that it's impossible for God to have a body?
    John 4:24
    24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
    NKJV

Luke 24:39
    39 Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have."
    NKJV

WHAT would you propose His 'body' would be made of IF NOT FLESH OR BONES? Green Jello?

alanmolstad

Understand now?

You are welcome,
    still the only correct answer by the way....

Quote Originally Posted by Erundur View Post
    No. We believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are 3 DIFFERENT AND DISTINCT persons who are one God (not one being with three personalities).

Self-contradiction. You don't believe in one 'being' (meaning God) with 3 persons, but you CLAIM you believe they are 3 different 'persons' who are one God.

You are contradicting yourself. So you believe they are separate 'persons,' but not separate 'persons.' Talk about convoluted and confusing religion!

AND

Your religion tells you that demons and Jesus are close relatives (spirit-brothers)
    What a load of manure!

You are contradicting yourself. So you believe they are separate 'persons,' but not separate 'persons.'
    That is not my belief. Since you are merely addressing a straw man, the LDS position stands unrefuted.

Talk about convoluted and confusing religion!
    If you want to talk about Protestantism, take it to the appropriate forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Erundur View Post

Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    You are contradicting yourself. So you believe they are separate 'persons,' but not separate 'persons.'
    That is not my belief. Since you are merely addressing a straw man, the LDS position stands unrefuted.

Then why did you post it? YOU SAID it.

YOU SAID:

Did you lie?

Talk about convoluted and confusing religion!
    If you want to talk about Protestantism, take it to the appropriate forum.
    I was quoting you back to you. IF you had tracked the conversation a little better, YOU WOULD KNOW I was referring to YOUR false religion. Are you NOW trying to claim that YOU ARE A PROTESTANT?

You should try to TRACK a little better.

knox posted:

Amen to all that. Well said. I wonder if the other implication in that p***age, is that just as Jesus didn't think it robbery to be equal with His Father, we should not think it robbery to want to become like Jesus.

Jesus is (and was) GOD. You and I are not. We cannot BE God. . .no matter HOW MANY 'manmade ordinances' we try to follow. You are simply out of luck.

What the did the Father die for and what was the purpose for his early resurrection ahead of all of us carnalized spirit babies?
    The only info we have in the Bible on that, is Jesus saying that He only did what He saw His Father do

FALSE CLAIM. The TRUTH is that He did ALL THAT THE FATHER TOLD HIM TO DO. His Father didn't walk on water, feed the 5,000, or die on the cross for our sins. ONLY JESUS DID those things.

and the Bible verse that says that Jesus is like His Father in every way, which would mean that the Father is like Jesus in every way.

Out of context? OF COURSE you do not include chapter or verse so we can look for ourselves. . .

THAT figures. . .you can't produce it!

I was quoting you back to you.
    False. I have never said they are separate persons but not separate persons. If I had, you'd be able to link to the post where I said that, but you can't, because I didn't.

The LDS position stands unrefuted.

alanmolstad

the correct answer is that within the nature of the One true God there are three divine persons.
    Each is distinct from the other,,,each is called "God" yet there are not three gods but only the one God.

The Father is God
    The Son is God
    The Spirit is God.

Three in union, a tri-union,, a tri-unity or we say a "trinity"