Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
Unfortunately, I am not a Protestant. Your competing authorities are your problem, the Catholic and Orthodox Church has established positions, despite rogue priests who have to be corrected by canon law.

Secular authorities are not always in keeping with God's authority, and so it is not my concern to consult popular opinion since it is like a reed shaken every which way it ****s. It is not consistent with the teachings of the Church. While I am a citizen and vote my conscience, the realm I am focusing on is the orthodoxy of Christianity and not the secular governance. What the Church is in charge of, that is what is important to reflect on. A professing Christian who rationalizes their position as though God is alright with something with no precidence is a person whose claims are based on an idealization of the gospel being a social advancement of the secular society. Christ's kingdom is not of this world, so the Gospel is not about social advancement of the kingdom of Man.

As such, I can give you the Catechism of the Catholic Church, I can quote the p***ages in Scripture as it was determined by Sacred Tradition from the influential council of Carthage that was reviewed at Trullo and ratified at an ecumenical council, and later restipulated at the Council of Trent. If you want to appeal to the number of Christians in the world, the Catholic faith is the largest and the Eastern Orthodox right behind it. However, I am not appealing to numbers... but to that which all Christians from every denomination rooted in historical continuity--as most Reformers would understand a continuation of its own "traditions" being consistent with Christian historicity. They would quote Augustine of Hippo to substantiate a continuity of Christian doctrine and morals because there was no other Church from which they started their reforms in their own time.
Whether or not protestantism is fortuitous is hardly a problem for me. I will not be punished, imprisoned, tortured, or killed because I refused to submit the religious authorities.
These self-appointed interpreters of scripture regularly reinterpret the text (albeit slowly) to reinvent itself in a way that allows it to survive in a modern world. The text they interpret has been doctored, and they know it.
Christianity has a pretty ugly history. Nearly all of it, and it's morality, has been discarded.
You can thank secularity, not God or Church, for the freedoms you enjoy. These freedoms have been extended to all races, religions, creeds, both men and women. It will soon protect ****sexuals in the same way.
You say what's important to you are the things the Church is in charge of. Well, that ain't much anymore. It's a good thing, imho.