Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
There are various positions in regards to the "Intermediate State." The Seventh Day Adventists believe in "soul sleep." I tend to think that there are many who simply ignore the subject altogether recognizing that the soul returns to God, especially for the Christian. There are many verses that talk about those who are asleep, there are several also that discuss about being alive in God. Typically, asleep appears to mention the state of their bodies rather than their souls. Whereas, even Christ demonstrates their awareness in the Rich Man and Lazarus as well as affirming in the Gospel of John that Abraham saw his day and was glad in chapter 8.

Now, if you can show me where I have stated that works add to Christ's sacrifice, please show me in my posts where I have stated such. It seems you are putting words in my mouth of things I have not said, but rather saying you know more about Eastern Catholicism's position. So far, you are confusing the nature of works as having some spiritual merit toward one's salvation as though this is Catholic. "Meritorious Works" has no salvaic quality. Works that are meritorious are such that exhibit the Scriptures saying their is a reward one receives in their stewardship, just as in the Gospel there are several servants who invested the master's money and one hid it in the ground "knowing that the Master does not sow where he does not reap" and this servant was cast out for not even investing it in the bank to draw interest. Do not confuse the two.

Thirdly, the whole point of the OP is to discuss that there is a state of purging. Hence, I am not going into the side topics until after there is an understanding that something happens within the Intermediate Period. If you think there is a purging within the soul while in the presence of God, then you have come to the Eastern Catholic understanding. If you think a soul has attained purity in God's kingdom, then at what point has the purging taken place? If you think the purging happens in this life, why do yet Christians sin? If you think that a Christian, in God's kingdom can retain their impurities in their soul while being covered by Christ, as though the covering hides sinfulness, then sin continues in heaven under the guise of Christ's righteousness. This I would reject utterly as false.
Greetings & Blessings.

So if you believe that the soul returns to God, then you do agree with what the Scripture says... "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." (2Cor.5:8) This says nothing about an Itermediate State. You die, you either go to be with the Lord, or you go to eternal separation and ****ation from Him.

This Intermediate State is a WORK Columcille, to further purge and purify, a soul, and when you adhere to this teaching, you are in fact endorsing and professing this added "process" for the purification of the soul. This is phariseetical. No mincing words here. Again, this is a further work man has added to what Christ had already deemed as sufficient. His death on the cross was sufficient. Why on earth would a soul who has professed Christ, and has been sealed with His Holy Spirit have to go to this place of purging?... "Christ in me"-He is the "guarantee of our inheritence." Does not Jesus say "Come to me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls." (Math.11:28,29) Agan, you will find my scriptural support in my 2 previous posts in dealing with the sin issue. "Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin." (Heb. 10:18) So, is there further need for an offering for sin? This verse says...NO.
Please re-read my previous posts.

Where is the Scriptural evidence for this teaching?

Blessings....Dmarie