Thread: The Problem With Prayer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    IncitingRiots

"People always confuse God with Aladdin. God is not a djinn."

Aladdin wasn't a djinn either. Of course, now that I think about it, for all I know they could be one in the same. They are both just as real to me.

"The problem isn't with prayer. The problem is that God must know you first. You stated "***uming there is a god" communicates that God does not know you; therefore, you can not know God."

Oh I can ***ure you that the problem is with prayer. Why not do something yourself to make what you want happen, happen? And I can honestly say, with all the wars, hatred, etc. that comes from the Judeo-Christian religions, I want nothing to do with any god.

I don't believe God loves everybody the same. Mainly because I don't believe there is a god, but also because if that were true god wouldn't allow the the horrible **** that goes on to take place. Nor would god send anybody to hell.

Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by IncitingRiots View Post
    Aladdin wasn't a djinn either. Of course, now that I think about it, for all I know they could be one in the same. They are both just as real to me.
    The djinn was the demon (genie) inside the magic lamp. I used this tale as a metaphor. From the book of One Thousand and One Nights.

There is nothing wrong with the people who want to pray, and this from all religions. Many studies have revealed that it could be a healthful practice. It is also alright if some do not want to pray. People are free to be spiritual or not. Speaking for myself, I pray and I meditate.

Trinity

IncitingRiots

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the people who want to pray, and this from all religions. Many studies have revealed that it could be a healthful practice. It is also alright if some do not want to pray. People are free to be spiritual or not. Speaking for myself, I pray and I meditate. Trinity
    I never said there was anything wrong with people who want to pray. It is a personal choice, to be sure. I was simply stating why I feel it to be a useless endeavor. The true mark of a lazy person who is always looking for a quick fix. You say that many studies have revealed it to be a healtful practice. Well I am skeptical any time someone uses the phrase "studies show" or any variation thereof. Since there have been many studies done, you wouldn't mind providing me with one would you?

Trinity

I never said there was anything wrong with people who want to pray. It is a personal choice, to be sure. I was simply stating why I feel it to be a useless endeavor. The true mark of a lazy person who is always looking for a quick fix. You say that many studies have revealed it to be a healtful practice. Well I am skeptical any time someone uses the phrase "studies show" or any variation thereof. Since there have been many studies done, you wouldn't mind providing me with one would you?
    This study below was realized in my country.

"In one early study done at the McGill University in Montreal by Dr. Bernard Grad, eighteen children with terminal leukemia were old to pray to God every night before going to bed. Another eighteen children with terminal leukemia were not told this. Ninety percent of the praying children survived an average of fourteen months. Only thirty-seven percent of the nonpraying children lived that long. Notice that this study does not prove that prayer CURES terminal leukemia. It only prolonged the children's lives. It did not necessarily heal them. Also note that the praying children at were very much aware that faith was being used to help them. We cannot rule out the psychosomatic effect here. Similar successes have been achieved when adults with terminal cancer were simply given psychological counseling during their fight for life. The counseled group lived longer than the noncounseled group This study does show that prayer is good for one's mental health and that improved mental health can prolong life."

Recommended books:

Healing Words
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...rioconsultanA/

Prayer Is Good Medicine: How to Reap the Healing Benefits of Prayer (I have read this one)
    http://www.amazon.com/Prayer-Good-Me...ref=pd_sim_b_2

You can call this a placebo effect or a psychosomatic phenomenon but you cannot deny that praying could be healthful. I also understand that it is a controversial issue. However, this is an issue discussed into varied medical journals, and more research are done about the potential of the prayer or meditation into an healing process.

Can Spirituality Improve Your Health?
    Larry Dossey, MD
    Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine

"In US medical schools, one of the fastest growing areas of study is the healing power of... prayer. Seventy-nine of the nation's 125 medical schools now offer courses on prayer and spirituality. A decade ago, only three medical schools offered such cl***es.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the use of prayer in the prevention or treatment of disease? Researchers have conducted approximately 200 scientific studies on prayer and health. About two-thirds of these studies have shown positive results in patients with chest pain, heart attack and AIDS.

How was the research conducted? One of the most impressive studies is being conducted by researchers at Duke University Medical Center. The research, which will soon be published in the American Journal of Cardiology, shows how prayer affects heart patients."

http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/art...ticle_id=30204

Trinity
    Last edited by Trinity; 01-18-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Kogseeker

You can actually do your own, foolproof study IncitingRiots. All ya have to do is try it for yourself.... Maybe ask God to reveal himself to you, see what happens.