Thread: Does "Concern" Excuse Rudeness?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    akaSeerone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think if you go back through history and I believe it was the first anti-book ever written, Mormonism Unveiled, was published by Eber D. Howe in 1834.

Of fifty-six anti-Mormon novels published during the nineteenth century, four established a pattern for all of the others. The four were sensational, erotic novels focusing on the supposed plight of women in the Church. Alfreda Eva Bell's Boadicea, the Mormon Wife (1855) depicted Church members as "murderers, forgers, swindlers, gamblers, thieves, and adulterers!" Orvilla S. Belisle's Mormonism Unveiled (1855) had the heroine hopelessly trapped in a Mormon harem. Metta Victoria Fuller Victor's Mormon Wives (1856) characterized Mormons as a "horrid" and deluded people. Maria Ward (a pseudonym) depicted Mormon torture of women in Female Life Among the Mormons (1855). Authors wrote lurid p***ages designed to sell the publications. Excommunicated members tried to capitalize on their former membership in the Church to sell their stories. Fanny Stenhouse's Tell It All (1874) and Ann Eliza Young's Wife No. 19 (1876) sensationalized the polygamy theme. William Hickman sold his story to John H. Beadle, who exaggerated the danite myth in Brigham's Destroying Angel (1872) to caricature Mormons as a violent people. Anti-Mormon Publications

by William O. Nelson

Now comes another series of Big Love, and despite earlier ***urances from HBO it once again blurs the distinctions between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the show’s fictional non-Mormon characters and their practices. Such things say much more about the insensitivities of writers, producers and TV executives than they say about Latter-day Saints.

If the Church allowed critics and opponents to choose the ground on which its battles are fought, it would risk being distracted from the focus and mission it has pursued successfully for nearly 180 years. Instead, the Church itself will determine its own course as it continues to preach the restored gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the world.
    I have to admit, it is hard to believe but you are good for something after all Richard......THANKS FOR THE LAUGH BUDDY Andy

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by akaSeerone View Post
    I have to admit, it is hard to believe but you are good for something after all Richard......THANKS FOR THE LAUGH BUDDY Andy
    Hey good buddy, I love the way you shadow me around. Chuckle.

We Mormons are good at bringing laughter to others, Chuckle, chuckle. How's it going over at CARM, caught on to my new User Name yet?

Richard, your friend.