Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: "Heaven"

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    You may see it as biblical, but it sure doesn't seem "godly".
    But you are using your standard for what God should or should not do. Have you ever considered that the Bile is true as written without s****ing sections that you don't like?

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    But you are using your standard for what God should or should not do. Have you ever considered that the Bile is true as written without s****ing sections that you don't like?
    Freudian slip? Bile?

The Bible is true...the "bile" is not.

And, yes, I have considered that the Bible was true, as written, or at least tried to, for quite along time. Actually, I ***umed it was all true...until I bothered to read it all. Then, my heart and soul did a giant flip and I knew I couldn't continue in that vein.

Billyray

Freudian slip? Bile?
    No I make a fair number of errors that I don't bother to go back and edit and also I get autocorrect errors when I post on my iPad--which I am doing now--that I fail to catch.

Billyray

Actually, I ***umed it was all true...until I bothered to read it all. Then, my heart and soul did a giant flip and I knew I couldn't continue in that vein.
    What made you decide it wasn't true?

Libby

No I make a fair number of errors that I don't bother to go back and edit and also I get autocorrect errors when I post on my iPad--which I am doing now--that I fail to catch.
    I don't have an iPad, but I do have an iPhone and that auto correct can be very annoying!

Billyray

I don't have an iPad, but I do have an iPhone and that auto correct can be very annoying!
    You can google autocorrect text message errors--they have some doozies.

Libby

What made you decide it wasn't true?
    I still believe a lot of it, especially the N.T. But, I got so very depressed reading the O.T. I almost gave up a few times...but, I was determined to finish it. I saw the Bible very differently, after that experience, a year ago, when my church did the Bible in 90 days. Reading huge chunks of it everyday...somehow changed my perspective and my beliefs about it. It was supposed to be a faith strengthening experience. For me, it was anything but...

Libby

You can google autocorrect text message errors--they have some doozies.
    Yes, I have seen some of those on Facebook. Some of them are pretty funny!

Billyray

I still believe a lot of it, especially the N.T. But, I got so very depressed reading the O.T. I almost gave up a few times...but, I was determined to finish it. I saw the Bible very differently, after that experience, a year ago, when my church did the Bible in 90 days. Reading huge chunks of it everyday...somehow changed my perspective and my beliefs about it. It was supposed to be a faith strengthening experience. For me, it was anything but...
    Do you think that your preconceived ideas about God did not match up with the God of the Bible?

Libby

Do you think that your preconceived ideas about God did not match up with the God of the Bible?
    I don't think so. It's not like I hadn't heard a lot of these stories before. I had. I just hadn't realized how...awful...some of it really was...these things that man attributed to God were just awful. No wonder Hitler had no qualms about what he did to the Jews. And, then, reading so much of it, everyday, became very depressing.

I couldn't stay in a belief system that made me feel so bad about the God I was worshiping.

Billyray

I don't think so. It's not like I hadn't heard a lot of these stories before. I had. I just hadn't realized how...awful...some of it really was...these things that man attributed to God were just awful.
    Isn't God allowed to do what he pleases and why do you think that you are in a position to judge what God does and label it as awful?

Libby

Isn't God allowed to do what he pleases and why do you think that you are in a position to judge what God does and label it as awful?
    You're not really understanding my position.

I don't believe God is awful. THAT was the problem.

Billyray

You're not really understanding my position.

I don't believe God is awful. THAT was the problem.
    I understand your position. You read it and decided that God couldn't have done that so you ***umed that the Bible was false, rather than accepting that the Bible is true and not judging God for what he has done.

Libby

I understand your position. You read it and decided that God couldn't have done that so you ***umed that the Bible was false, rather than accepting that the Bible is true and not judging God for what he has done.
    You have a difficult time allowing people to speak for themselves. Why is that? You always want to manipulate my words, to make them appear as something they are not.

I have never "judged God"...that is just ridiculous on its face.

I have questioned MAN's attributions to God. I believe some of them are false attributions, because a good and perfect and loving God would simply not behave in that way. I believe my deep feelings about this come from the Holy Spirit.

Libby

So, no, you really do not understand. Either that or you do understand, and you are simply playing games.

Billyray

You have a difficult time allowing people to speak for themselves. Why is that? You always want to manipulate my words, to make them appear as something they are not.

I have never "judged God"...that is just ridiculous on its face.

I have questioned MAN's attributions to God. I believe some of them are false attributions, because a good and perfect and loving God would simply not behave in that way. I believe my deep feelings about this come from the Holy Spirit.
    I am not speaking for you Libby you made it clear by your own words. You read God's word and you couldn't accept it because God didn't meet your standards o you simply reject it and labeled it false as written. I understand perfectly.

Libby

You don't understand at all, Billy, when you say things like "You read God's word and you couldn't accept it because God didn't meet your standards"...ridiculous and a complete misrepresentation of what I said.

Pa Pa

You don't understand at all, Billy, when you say things like "You read God's word and you couldn't accept it because God didn't meet your standards"...ridiculous and a complete misrepresentation of what I said.
    I agree...also why would we want to choose some of his words and reject others? But it is Billy...

Libby

Of course. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that anyone here, who sincerely believes something is God's word, would NOT reject it, just because it didn't "meet their standard". That is ludicrous on it's face. I wouldn't do that and I don't believe ANYONE would.

"Believeability" is the key to acceptance of something that is "claimed" to be God's word. That comes from the Holy Spirit, IMHO.

Billyray

I understand perfectly Libby and it is not a mistepresentation of what you have said. You read the Bible and did not like what you read so you decided in your mind that the Bible was false in whatever section you didn't like.

Billyray

Of course. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that anyone here, who sincerely believes something is God's word, would NOT reject it, just because it didn't "meet their standard". That is ludicrous on it's face. I wouldn't do that and I don't believe ANYONE would.
    That is exactly what happened to you so it is not ludicrous at all.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Pa View Post
    I agree...also why would we want to choose some of his words and reject others?.
    You can't pick and choose what you like and disguard what you don't like.

Libby

That is exactly what happened to you so it is not ludicrous at all.
    Not at all. I have not disregarded anything that I "know" is from God.

Libby

You can't pick and choose what you like and disguard what you don't like.
    You can pick and choose what is believable and discard what is not. God gave us intelligence for a reason.

Billyray

Not at all. I have not disregarded anything that I "know" is from God.
    You have rejected God's word and the basis for this is your logic.