Thread: What is your understanding of...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Columcille

Quote Originally Posted by MacG View Post
    49"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy.

50"Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me Therefore I removed them when I saw it." NASB

I was wondering if someone would find these verses. The average guy in the pew (especially west bourough baptist) beleives that God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah soley because of their ****sexuality. These verses God elaborates on their whole condition. First God points out all of the riches that they had even though they were arrogant and due to the combonation of arrogance and abundant food and careless ease God points out their sin of ommission of not helping the poor and needy. This resulted their being haughty (distainful) of the poor and proceeded to do "detestable" things in their careless ease.

God seems to mention the detestable things as the straw that broke the camels back as it were - not the primary cause. So it is I believe with ****sexuals who genuinely seek first the kingdom of God. ****sexuality may not be the main issue in a guys life. Just like being arrogant towards the poor may be the first concern. The image of the Pharisees comes to mind dropping in their spare gold gobblets in the offering with fanfare while the widow's mite was valued far more. The two men praying before God, the religious ruler who thanked God the he was not like this sinner and the sinner was beating his chest saying "Lord have mercy on me, a sinner". Jesus said he went home justified in the eyes of God.

Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the LORD,All you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; Seek righteousness, seek humility Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the LORD'S anger.

James 1:21
    Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls.

Philippians 2:3
    Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;

1 Peter 5:5
    You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.

At any rate these are some of the current thoughts I have on the subject by means it is not comprehensive nor set in stone.

Blessings,

MacG

I guess you just have to ignore all the literary mechanisms of the genre, because I see no scholarly commentary which would render your opinion.

MacG

Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
    I guess you just have to ignore all the literary mechanisms of the genre, because I see no scholarly commentary which would render your opinion.
    That's because I'm not a scholar Though my thoughts are the first level of hermanutics - reader response. Perhaps you could enlighten me to another level and tell me which genre the verses (all of them) I cite employ so that I might be better informed.

It seems that God said that they were rich oppressve AND did detestable things. Do you suppose that He would tolerated them longer if they were either/or and not both?

Blessings,

MacG