When you say "we go to church," I was under the impression based on your far eastern spirituality that you were not a professed mainstream Christian. Your ****ogy of a leaky bucket suggests you are an***hetical to Christianity. In fact, it is written Psalms 23. 5, "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." In Christian circles, it is understood that the filling of the Holy Spirit is something that flows out into good works. The reason we go to church is because the book of Hebrews declares not to forsake the ***embly of the saints; going to church is an act of community and fellowship as we seek the Lord through the reading of the Sacred Scripture and for us Catholic/Orthodox the reception of the sacred mystery in the Eucharist by God's grace not of our own doing. Some rugged individualists in Protestant circles may think of going to church as an act of of renewal, but even they understand the book of Hebrew's instruction. To me, motivation to seek after the filling of the Holy Spirit is no different than Simon in Acts 8.

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.
24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

People who are constantly seeking for a thrill are certainly not going to find the filling of the Holy Spirit, because their motivation is not consistent with God's will.