sigh... do you actually read what people right? let me quote myself to demonstrate what i mean:

would like to make the request that posters be careful in their use of the word 'catholic' as it does NOT refer to the Roman Catholic Church but to all believers around the world.
do you know what a request is? it is requiring a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer or an 'okay' will do or even a 'sorry, no can do'

i am well aware of the usages of the word 'catholic' which is why i made the REQUEST for clarification. if you cannot comply, no problem but leave your sermons at the door.

but since you have gone into history here is what webster has to say on the topic:

C̵ATH´OLIC̵, a. [Gr. καθολικος, κατα and ολικος, from ολος, the whole; L. catholicus; Fr. catholique; Sp. catolico; It. cattolico.]
Universal or general; as the Catholic church. Originally this epithet was given to the Christian church in general, but is now appropriated to the Romish church, and in strictness there is no Catholic church, or universal Christian communion. The epithet is sometimes set in opposition to heretic, sectary or schismatic.
2. Liberal; not narrow minded, partial or bigoted; as a catholic man.
3. Liberal; as catholic principles.
Catholic epistles, the epistles of the apostles which are addressed to all the faithful, and not to a particular church.

Webster, N. 2006. Noah Webster's first edition of An American dictionary of the English language. Reprint of the 1828 ed. published under ***le: An American dictionary of the English language. Foundation for American Christian Education: Anaheim, CA
yes i bolded those words for a purpose--it shows that the RCC took the word to imply a standing for their sect when they do not deserve such recognition.

but such appropriations seem to be the order of the day for the RCC church as they claim to be the true church based upon an erroneous doctrine--apostolic succession.

there is NO teaching in the Bible which states that the true church has apostolic succession, there is NO teaching in the Bible that apostolic succession took place. thus, like the mormon church, the RCC sect is building a false image and lying to the people of the world.

(reference: Recently the new Pope issued a statement that the Roman Catholic Church was the true church of God and all the others were the fakes. He based his position on the R.C.C.’ doctrine of apostolic succession { http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01641a.htm }. )

the true church follows Jesus and His disciples not false doctrines.