Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
I just mentioned 1 friend. There were others that I have known that were in the same condition. It is a standard answer to anyone that turns back, they were never saved in the first place. You can never know if you are saved if you follow OSAS to its logical conclusion.

The contradiction to 1 John 5:13 is that 1 John 5:13 says, without hesitation, that you may know that you have eternal life. OSAS says that anyone that turns back was never saved. How can a person that believes OSAS ever know that they are saved? You could become like my friend and many others that believed that they were saved and turn back to your old ways and OSAS says, by many that believe OSAS, that you were never saved.
Saxon, you can see that my believing that I have secure eternal life is trusting in the promise of 1 John 5:13, not contradicting it. There are only two conditions a man can be in, saved or lost. Believing in eternal security does not go against scripture but I think there are extreme views and zealous opinions without correct knowledge that confuse what is really true. If a man is born again and sealed by the Holy Spirit there is still a very high probability that he will sometimes commit sin, this does not mean that he is now lost or that he never was a true Christian, it means he has stumbled. Some stumble badly. But on the other hand, I have heard of for example, some Hollywood people leading openly sinful lives say that they are born again and seem that way for a few days but then go right back to the same lifestyle. One could reason by their actions that they were not really born again. But who really knows a man's heart but God? Salvation is a gift, one that God will not take back and that a believer cannot give back. Remember in Romans chap. 7 when Paul as a Christian said that he does the evil things he wills not to do?
Paul was admitting the struggle that every Christian goes through and I have never heard anyone make a case that Paul was saved and lost and then saved again even though he admitted nothing good dwelt in his flesh. He knew that even though he sometimes acted like a "wretched man" that he was secure in Jesus Christ.