Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
Jeff I don't follow Calvin, I follow what the Bible teaches.
If both you and Calvin have interpreted the Bible as teaching that Jesus only loves a select few, then you agree with Calvin, and both of you are wrong.

If I thought that the Bible taught that Jesus paid for every sin for every single person then I would believe that
That is obviously true. Just like if I thought that the Bible taught that Jesus hates most of the human race so much that He didn't even give them a chance at salvation, then I would believe that.

And it brings up the problem that if Jesus did pay for every single sin for every single person then nobody would end up in hell.
That problem does not exist. It is the result of faulty reasoning. Jesus died even for the sinners who will choose to reject Him. He died for them because He loves even them, He loves them so much that He offers them salvation, and if they want it all they need to do is accept the atonement that He made for their sins. THAT is the GOOD news of the Gospel. If Jesus didn't pay the price for everyone's sins, then all those people who He failed to pay the price for never had a chance at salvation, which means that they were created hopeless. That is not something the God of the New Testament would do.

The GOOD NEWS of the New Testament is that thanks to what Jesus did for ALL of us, salvation is possible for ALL of us. Otherwise, the message of the New Testament would be mostly BAD NEWS for MOST of us--the message would be "There is no hope for you because Jesus didn't die for you." Is that really what you want to believe the Bible teaches? Why?