Thread: What's the moral difference?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    God-free

Quote Originally Posted by Christodoulos View Post
    I believe in a God who redeems people not worthy of redeeming.
    Why do you believe that? And who are the people you're referring to?

It's not a LOW opinion of people ,it's the way it is.
    Those 5 best friends you spoke of would, more likely than not, manage to stretch those 4 bags of groceries in such a way as to make sure no one went without during their week of captivity. It probably wouldn't be that hard to do. But, the reason I said you have a low opinion of people is because the challenge was a pretty mild one. You gave me the impression that you would expect them to be at each other's throats.

"The way it is" is that people aren't perfect and never have been. That doesn't mean we're all terrible people. This idea from religion, that people are desperately wicked and every part of them (mind, will, emotions and flesh) are corrupted, is one of the things I despise about it. It's simply not true. I'd go so far as to say that to teach these things amounts to mental and emotional abuse. It's intended to crush a person's self-esteem so that they'll latch on to "salvation" being offered. It's akin to a doctor cutting you with his scalpel just so he can sell you a band aid -- a very expensive band aid it is, too.
    Last edited by God-free; 08-08-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added text